Thread: Will Apple iPad work with Linux Mint?

Will Apple iPad work with Linux Mint?

Welcome, I am fascinated by an Apple iPad. I do not make a point not to require one nor do I need to have one it is in the process of something that I think I need. Yet I am not confident if the Apple iPad will go with Linux Mint. What I need to have prior knowledge regarding this before I regard getting an iPad? The Apple store would like me to purchase a Mac to run with it and the bigbox store has no clue what Linux Mint is for the reason that they are trained to push MS stuff. Thanks for the help.

Re: Will Apple iPad work with Linux Mint?

It relies on the iOS version. Some versions work well, others don't. There are likewise iOS versions with read-only access for Linux users. For the most part iOS 3 and before work the greatest, but I don't think you would be able to get an iPad with such an 'old' version.

Apple constructs all their stuff to guarantee you become tied up with the entire environment. That way when one part of it ceases to exist, it’s a part more straightforward to purchase a different Apple part, or face the prospect of it not working right. This is why they utilize their particular patented connectors and request all items needs to live out iTunes to match up. I'd doubt the iPad would work in Linux Mint, in spite of the fact that I might be wrong, Apple have an arrangement of "provided that it works, we'll settle it" with respect to "unauthorized" utilize. The explanation might be iTunes in Wine until Apple break that, or a Windows VM with iTunes.

Tablets, such as phones will consistently be ARM, not Intel or AMD CPUs, so they require special builds. The mobile OS's like Android will consistently be a Linux part with a Java nature, as opposed to a standard distro. This would not joke about this not effortless to trade the OS you got the tablet or telephone with a revamped one. You ought to have the ability to glimmer it with a revamped version of what you got, but its much harder to port something else to it. More than enough folks snapped up the TouchPad on the surmise that one day they'll have the capacity to get Android or Ubuntu on it. Android is possible in the end, Ubuntu I wouldn't wagered on. I'd propose scanning YouTube for Ubuntu on changing tablets to see the consequences. I accept some individuals have maintained it with some achievement but I get the impression its more of a hackers undertaking than something any normal Joe would be able to download and flash.

I desire to unite a tablet to my Linux Mint machine to transfer files and such. I doubt that an Android tablet could be a preferable alternative. Again I am not positive I am determined to purchase a tablet, so actually looking and would like to memorize about utilizing a tablet and see depending on if it will communicate with Linux Mint.

As a workaround (somewhat convoluted, but it works without situations), you are able to instate Dropbox both on your Linux machine and on your Apple iPad or iPhone (or iPod touch). Dropbox will synchronize (i.e., duplicate) files through the Internet. Any files that you put in the Dropbox envelope on one of your mechanisms, you are able to then access additionally on different machines (through a requisition or the site). It is a unlimited requisition, and you get 2 GB of free available space. It's sufficient to transfer larger files moreover.

You are able to install Dropbox on Linux Mint through the Software Manager (unequivocally hunt down dropbox, and install it). For LMDE, you would need to get the establishment bundle from the online content. In the event that you begin it, you can be steered to make a record. On your iPad, you would be able to get the Dropbox App. Actually arrange the same record, and the rest is computerized-otherworldly.

As a different matter and a gnawed off point: For the instant ios5 is such that Apple gadgets cannot be mounted in Ubuntu or Linux Mint. I suspect that situation will soon be helped by the eminent individuals that support unit. I utilize Application to keep music files on my iPod Touch present with my Linux Mint 11 desktop. When I changed over my iPod Touch to ios5 I lost about 500 of my 3800 music tracks receivable to something in iTunes-don't comprehend what. Whenever gadget works toward getting updated I look for to have the capacity to re-download all my music files.

Well, this worked toward getting fixed in a run. I recognized early today that Update Manager had settles holding up for me to instate. I did so and now my iPod Touch is recognized and mounted sees all my music that iTunes changed over to ios5. That is a somewhat brisk response to Apple’s brand new discharges by the individuals that backing. Now I will go get my alternate music tracks put again on my iPod Touch. I am inspired.

I still recollect how risky iOS 4 support was some time back. Anyway for iOS 4, they declare Apple had done some work to dispose of the exceptional Linux support. I haven't caught such bits of hearsay about iOS 5 so I think the methodology for USB conveyance hasn't modified much. Or conceivably it was even as basic as joining the USB IDs.

I utilize Dropbox in the same way. I utilize it to transfer ebooks from Windows 7 to Linux Mint 11 and to my e-followers (Nook and iPod Touch). It is superb for imparting different types of files, e.g. LibreOffice spreadsheets besides. I utilize SpiderOak to backup/restore more delicate files after file encryption is on my computer apart from everyone else. Not the case with Dropbox.