Thread: Gnome help missing in Linux Mint 11

Gnome help missing in Linux Mint 11

Using Mint 11, and trying to study Gnome, I was dissatisfied to locate that the help system was left out. I establish and installed what appeared to be the right thing with synaptic, nevertheless when I attempt to turn the help desk, I obtain: "Could not parse file

the user'. / Guide.xml file "could not be parsed for the reason that one or more of its built-in files is not a well-formed XML document."

Following the path, I see that this file cannot be loaded directly, either. I searched Google for the previous msg. no-hitter. I installed the package twice without results. My drive is 100% clean according to e2fsck. Any idea what could have caused this or how to fix it?

Re: Gnome help missing in Linux Mint 11

Not sure if this is completely kosher regard to mint, but it is a place to start. Nevertheless I would have thought that if there is a trouble with synaptic package.

Everything is new to me; I realize the fairly steep learning curve with the Gnome and KDE that comes with Slackware 12.2. So yes, it could be an internal fault with Gnome.

FWIW, when I effort to open any description of Firefox quide.xml user's language if this is what I obtain: This XML file does not seem to shift toward information connected with it. The document tree is exposed below.

Yelp is the built in help system, right? The use I be able to acquire an mistake note more."The file xxx could not be parsed because one or more of its included files is not a well-formed XML document."

And I guess if it is an XML document, then Firefox should be able to look anyway. Looks like something is missing more than an existing file is corrupted.

From the CLI, this is what I acquire:
    Code:
    elp:2610): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
    (yelp:2610): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_toolbar_insert: assertion `GTK_IS_TOOL_ITEM (item)' failed
    (yelp:2610): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_tool_button_new: assertion `icon_widget == NULL || GTK_IS_MISC (icon_widget)' failed
    (yelp:2610): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance
    (yelp:2610): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed
    (yelp:2610): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_toolbar_insert: assertion `GTK_IS_TOOL_ITEM (item)' failed
    I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/usr/share/gnome/help-langpack/user-guide/en_CA/gosbasic.xml"
    /usr/share/gnome/help-langpack/user-guide/en_CA/user-guide.xml:308: element include: XInclude error : could not load /usr/share/gnome/help-langpack/user-guide/en_CA/gosbasic.xml, and no fallback was found
    I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/usr/share/gnome/help-langpack/user-guide/en_CA/gosoverview.xml"
    /usr/share/gnome/help-langpack/user-guide/en_CA/user-guide.xml:309: element include: XInclude error : could not load /usr/share/gnome/help-langpack/user-guide/en_CA/gosoverview.xml, and no fallback was found
    I/O warning : failed to load external entity "/usr/share/gnome/help-langpack/user-guide/en_CA/goseditmainmenu.xml"
    /usr/share/gnome/help-langpack/user-guide/en_CA/user-guide.xml:312: element include: XInclude error : could not load /usr/share/gnome/help-langpack/user-guide/en_CA/goseditmainmenu.xml, and no fallback was found

I'm in Mint 9 Xfce, and have also installed en_CA translations. I have also these folders and files of GNOME, and they all fabricate a mistake for me too.

Nevertheless what about the quality control in Linux / Mint / Gnome (which is always to blame), when you cannot even turn the help system? You know, if I could rant a little, the entire software universe bleeding has this obsession with bells and whistles and eye candy and nonsense Wiz-bang.

When what is wanted is excellence control, decent documentation and some bottomless thoughts about how to make a intuitive operating system where simplicity is considered a virtue, and not something that feature death. Sometimes I wish I was still the operating system DOS.

Yes, I do. But that only makes my point of view. Things are so complicated that the day will come when the whole thing collapses under its own weight. I'm not dumping on the efforts of all who have contributed to Linux, in general, or Mint, in exacting; nevertheless the basics are being overlooked. I believe there will come a day when no one knows anything actually work anymore. I cannot believe of returning to DOS. There was a modest graphical browser called Arachne. You could fit on a floppy disk DOS, boot and do some essential navigation - all in a 1.44 on a 386 with 16 MB. Now things are a thousand times larger, but are a thousand times better? Sheesh, one of the most important desks in the word Linux, and even the help system is broken.

But you can still go back to Arachne and two with FreeDOS. It's really powerful (much better than MSDos 6:22, 7:10 or even. trouble for me is that I like much more features of the Currency, and I want to leave the Mint to use the diskette, or two programs. I'm not interested in games, so do not propose dosbox. Dosemu is much superior for me; nevertheless still have to work through Linux, which means that the flexible access is still extremely hard and limited.

Mtools helps a bit. fdutils might have some answers if I be able to locate some decent documentation. Again, the documentation is the trouble. I rarely have any genuine help "- help" or "man what-ever-program." Google help at some point if I can figure out to make the search.

I have also this trouble, but I'm using Ultimate Edition 2.7.I recently started using Linux and sometimes has to go to the help files for what to do. Of the previous comments it seems that this could be a problem as I get GNOME same error message as the OP

They have also gone to the help files for programs like K3b and some other KDE.Carefully search phrases usually helps - lead me to this page - Well glad I'm not the only one with troubles. Thanks to everyone at the Linux community to provide help

I managed to acquire my new help menu. This is what I did and I hope it helps you too. First, as root i removed all the languages in / usr / share / gnome / help guide / user. Except the United Kingdom or English,

Code:
    Upgraded the following packages:
    yelp (2.30.1-0ubuntu1-1mint1) to 3.0.0-0ubuntu2 and locked this version

Downgraded the following packages:
    gnome-user-guide 3.0.0+git20110406ubuntu11 and locked this version