Thread: How to restore Grub 2 after having reinstalled Windows 7 in my Linux Mint laptop

How to restore Grub 2 after having reinstalled Windows 7 in my Linux Mint laptop

I am having Linux mint 9 in my laptop and I want to know if I would be able to restore my Linux partition? Since I have reinstalled windows 7 in my laptop. So I am trying to restore grub2 so that I would be able to get the boot loader options again?

So that’s what I want to say here, so do let me know about the same I am waiting for the replies from you all.

Re: How to restore Grub 2 after having reinstalled Windows 7 in my Linux Mint laptop

Quote Originally Posted by BahaDurr View Post
    I am having Linux mint 9 in my laptop and I want to know if I would be able to restore my Linux partition? Since I have reinstalled windows 7 in my laptop. So I am trying to restore grub2 so that I would be able to get the boot loader options again?

So that’s what I want to say here, so do let me know about the same I am waiting for the replies from you all.
    Well I have 3 simple steps for you do have a look at it and let me know if that actually works for you or not, so what I am saying here is that
    1) Try booting with the LiveCD Desktop in your system
    2) Now open up the terminal while doing that keep selecting the Accessories, applications and menu bar as well.
    3) Now while installing the OS determine the partition as well, check with the following code
    sudo fdisk –l
    4) In case if you are not happy with the partitions that has been given I would advise you to run sudo blkid so what it will do is that it will locate the proper partition. So if you find it very difficult to identify the devices and all then let me help you with that device/drive is designated by sdX while partition is designated by the Y. so count the partitions and the devices differently. That’s what I am saying here, so hope it was enough for you that’s it from my side.
    5) Now all you have to do is mount the partition that has the Ubuntu installation.
    6) Try running the grub-install command which is
    ‘sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/ /dev/sdX’
    7) Now do a simple reboot and then refresh the GRUB 2 menu.
    So do follow all the steps that I have given here and I am sure that it will be of good sue for you, that’s what I am saying here.

Re: How to restore Grub 2 after having reinstalled Windows 7 in my Linux Mint laptop

Hey thanks for giving me that solution anyways I have tried out all the steps that you have mentioned here one thing that I did not understand is that how to refresh the GRUB 2 menu? That’s what I am not able to understand at all, so I need your replies on the same. what do you mean by that it would be better if you can give me detailed explanation on the same then that would be better, so do give me replies. I am waiting for the replies guys.

It’s the same menu where you are going to enter the details that’s what I am saying here, so hope you did understand what I am saying here. so do read the steps carefully and then get ahead with the same, so that’s what I want to say here, hope so it was useful for you that’s it from my side.