Thread: Corrupt restore using backup tool in Linux mint

Corrupt restore using backup tool in Linux mint

I just installed Mint 9 to a secondary computer. I made a split "/" partition and "/ home". the whole thing was immense! Then I used the backup tool new Mint to restore the / home directory that was backed up on an external HD. It took me much longer to recover than it did to make the backup, but after it finishes rebooting, hoping to acquire my old settings back. The desktop image, theme and icons are restored, nevertheless there is not a menu of Mint, the time and date, list of wi-fi windows or indicator on the panel. Also, my Firefox icon is blue and white instead of the regular colors, even though the icons are the same.

I can add the missing elements, except that I have not been able to find a way to add wireless connection icon, and I cannot get my internet to work now. It will not connect automatically or ask for my password for default. I do not understand why these things are missing. There should be setup the same as they were?

Re: Corrupt restore using backup tool in Linux mint

He restored the house which presumably includes the configuration of hidden folders. As these settings are set against mint 8 are causing problems in Mint 9 as many are now incompatible, that is why you should create a fresh home, do not attempt to use the old. Updating instructions not make this clear, but should only be to restore your data folders, ie documents, music, etc, not the entire house.

To fix this, in nautilus show hidden files (Ctrl + H) and remove all application configuration folders that are no longer set up, this might be all hidden folders, perhaps. Mozilla and Thunderbird. Be confident to take away gconf folder. At least it keeps the set on your desktop. Also check if any folders or a file on them has a lock on them, as there is an error in the backup software restores the files to the root as the owner. If this is the case of opening a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + T) and enter

Re: Corrupt restore using backup tool in Linux mint

Replace username with your user name. Having done this, go back in. All you have to be reset by default. "The upgrade instructions do not make this clear "! In fact, they do sound like all the settings are restored, along with all applications that are not installed by default. This is a big draw for me to stay with the Mint, rather than vanilla Ubuntu. Luckily I found this thread, before putting my confidence in the backup tool of Mint.

Obviously, that's not true . I've been using grsync to backup and restore personal data after each update of Ubuntu or Mint . Nothing is novel once more Mint. This issue and I see many reasons for not returning only to Ubuntu.