Thread: How to upgrade linux mint 10 to linux mint 11

How to upgrade linux mint 10 to linux mint 11

HI, I have installed LiNUX mint 10 to my system and wanted to updagrade to its newer version that’s Mint 11 but don’t know how to do that because I am not sure what are the exact steps that I need to follow in order to install the newer update in the machine.

Any suggestion regarding the same will be appreciated.

Re: How to upgrade linux mint 10 to linux mint 11

See there are several ways of installing the updates but still It would be better if you visit the official website of the same because from there only you’ll get the particular steps for installing the windows.

almost have the same opinion as the above user as there are several ways of installing the update, anyways I have mentioned “Fresh" upgrades and you just have to follow the steps I have mentioned.

In a "fresh" upgrade you make use of the liveCD of the fresh liberate to carry out a new installation and to overwrite your accessible partitions.
    A "Fresh" upgrade consists of the following steps:

1. Making a backup of the data

2. Making a backup of the software collection

3. Performing a clean installation using the live CD of the fresh release

4. Restoring the data

5. Restoring the software collection

This is the suggested way to advance Linux Mint and it offers the following recompense:

Secure: Your data is backed up superficially. Whatever inaccuracy you make or whatever bug come about during the installation cannot affect it.

Quick: The installation regularly lasts 10 minutes. The CD for the fresh release is fewer than 700MB and it holds about 3GB of compacted data. Downloading the ISO and upgrading from the CD is a lot quicker than upgrading the system from the repositories.

Consistent: First, you get the chance to examine your hardware detection in the fresh discharge using the liveCD. If anything is incorrect you can merely decide not to upgrade, it's not too late. Second, you finish with a fresh installation of Linux Mint, i.e. a system that was completely experienced by the development team and the community.

Effortless: Things do go as planned this way.

as you have mentioned there are several ways so what is other way of installing the same thing ?

see you can install the same upgrades through the "Package" upgrades as well, and for that you need to carry our following mentioned steps.

A "package" upgrade consists of the following steps:

1. Pointing APT to the repositories of the newer liberation.
    2. Asking APT to carry out a full advance

APT is the package organization system used by Linux Mint. on the other hand some releases were given a graphical upgrade instrument to carry out these steps.

Though we can do this with the package upgrade as well but still there so many cons of upgrading the system this way:

• sluggish: APT will download the fresh version of all the packages installed on your system. presumptuous you installed nothing at all, that's about 4GB of information.... by means of a fresh advance you could have downloaded all that records by merely getting the 700MB ISO.

• untrustworthy: replying on your adjustment, your causes, your additional software and your configuration you could finish with a system that acts and sense actually dissimilar than a brand new version of the newer Linux Mint release.

• dangerous: The enticement while you upgrade with APT is not to perform backups... as your partitions aren't overwritten, not anything "forces" you to make backups... think about the hazard though.

• complex: Packages disagreement with each others, they can carry multifaceted reliance and place you in situations that are complex to resolve.

I was also thinking about the same almost but still the thing that Why doesn't Linux Mint upgrade the way Ubuntu does?

see according to me this method is quite good rather than the way ubuntu does because see It doesn't make it easy for you to backup your data, after that It uses a "package" upgrade method, which is quite risky as mentioned by the above user.

The only benefit Ubuntu proffers is that it crafts the procedure unimportant and completely automated. Though, bearing in mind the risks and the way it advances your system, this should be well thought-out hazardous.