Thread: Spotlight search broken in Mac OS X Lion, pop up will 1000 results every time

Spotlight search broken in Mac OS X Lion, pop up will 1000 results every time

Whenever I do a search in Mac OS X Lion. I am getting 5,000 plus results. Even for a word known only as "aaabbbcccdddeee.".New Spotlight indexing has no consequence.

Re: Spotlight search broken in Mac OS X Lion, pop up will 1000 results every time

Quote Originally Posted by sHaRiCe View Post
    Whenever I do a search in Mac OS X Lion. I am getting 5,000 plus results. Even for a word known only as "aaabbbcccdddeee.".New Spotlight indexing has no consequence.
    Generate a 'test' and record users in their make use of. Focus perceives if you still have the identical trouble.

Re: Spotlight search broken in Mac OS X Lion, pop up will 1000 results every time

Even already had a "test" user account for this purpose. Care Center's account 'test' work as expected; the results are returned that made sense.

a number of care-related plist have to be corrupt?

Not convinced if this will help, nevertheless you be capable to effort this in Terminal.app

Code:
    Turn indexing off for /
    sudo mdutil -i off /
     Clear the metadata store for /
    sudo mdutil -E /
     Turn indexing back on for /
    sudo mdutil -i on /

The construction of a new index using the terminal commands to no avail, it was worth a try.I had already rebuilt the index by adding and removing the panel volume of privacy in the Spotlight system preference.

I do not know if this will help, nevertheless you be able to delete 'Cache' folder in the user's library and the Library System folder. Restart the computer. Empty the trash.

You might desire to attempt to disable Spotlight indexing first, remove metadata aged care. After emptying the trash, rentable spotlight.

I deleted two plists in / user / Library preferences:

Code:
    com.apple.finder.plist
    com.apple.spotlight.plist
    The finder.plist regenerated, and I realized I lost some browser settings. The spotlight. List regenerated when I changed a setting in the Spotlight system preference. Spotlight is still broken. I will endeavor to remove the cache; or else I'm running out of thoughts. Spotlight is like permanently using a wildcard with each search.

Spotlight indexing turned OFF, said metadata, moved User / Library / Caches to the trash. Restarted, empty the trash turned Indexing. Spotlight is still broken, going back to 1000 consequences.

Search for file name does not work [and always].Cannot decides if I will attempt once more to remove / System / Library / Caches.

Enter "apply" in the search "search" This Mac "" A window should show that the files containing "apply" in the name, but many do not. But look, something interesting: they also say that the kind of found files (which you'll be left "any"), but least’s type "Application" and "image of the Apple icon," but not "PDF". Perhaps it is accelerating in the pdf icon that appears for each.

This is the merely thing that might make sense, in view of the fact that each of the files shown with an icon linked with it. Just a guess, but it could be an error in Spotlight. This investigates found 10,000 articles, which is also clearly wrong unless the search is somewhat limited to exactly 10,000 items. I do not know.

Just a suggestion, why not create a new user account and migrate all your documents through?

Since it only affected user account, do not think the system \ Caches will fix it. But anyway always empty whenever you delete a user's cache folder. I’m out of ideas and I cannot prove anything without having access to your computer to dig deeper. You can get a different number of search results"Apple"search verses"S281kjsx9x7y2"

Try creating another user and migrate files, except for anything inside the Library. To perceive if the trouble persists. I would even care to eliminate the metadata and allow re-index everything.

If no troubles are establish in the account, and then we are able to reduce it to be in the library folder. To obtain to the root of the trouble, we have to eliminate every possible stage one by one.