Thread: Getting gray background after wakeup in Mac OS X Lion

Getting gray background after wakeup in Mac OS X Lion

I've only been able to restore the image is restart the system, which rarely do with this machine, it will stay for months at a time, and only when essential to restart the system. I've attempt using the desktop and screensaver system preferences and do nothing. I've even set to alter every 5 minutes and had no effect.

Re: Getting gray background after wakeup in Mac OS X Lion

I am also having this crisis on a Mac Mini. Two 24 "screens. When the system wakes from sleep on the main screen is gray in the background, the second monitor is fine. Everything seems to work just bottomless.

When the team went back to sleep and the desktop background would be gray on the main screen,. hit my second screen (which was connected via HDMI converter) static color displays and the need to restart the display.

After reading the other thread on the static that some people were saying it could be the HDMI copy protection ruin. So I uninvolved the HDMI to DVI converter and Apple HDMI connected to HDMI on my screen sight 24 inch Dell. My second screen is larger and has no HDMI, so I plugged in the mini-DVI port on my Mac Mini. (Basically the change around the two monitors at the exits, perhaps from that stated at the gray)

I have the same trouble except mine does not need sleep to do so. I have the same wide variety of symptoms after the screensaver has been for a long period of time (maybe an hour?). Consolidates the windows to the main screen, as if the laptop screen and switches off the bottom of the laptop to gray. Once this happens, I cannot get the desktop to reset without rebooting.

Incidentally, this only happens to me when connected to DVI (DVI to MDP passive adapter). When connected directly to an ACD does not. So far, I have not found a solution, so a fault in the radar.

I also agree that when the gray background - there is nothing in all you can do about it. The fund my solution has been reset - which is a pain. Then I found the session and back - that's less bad. Today just plain old off the mini screen and waited for him to calm down and plugged it back in - and the background is back to what it should be.

I've been competent determine the background would just returning a login window and back to my session without taking down

You don't necessitate to reboot or to log out. Just launch the Activity Monitor and quit the Dock process. The Dock and Desktop processes will begin again and you will acquire your wallpaper back.

With the lion 10.7.1 update - I don't have this trouble any longer. It could be my thoughts - but so far I have not seen it after the update.

I should meet the criteria that a little bit more - I had updated my apps - iphoto, keynote, aperture and the lion update too. I did become aware of that on my two displays - that the laptop display would keep the lion background instead of an image from the selected background folder. This was a little weird.

If this isn't a definite bug in Lion I would propose you look through your Preferences folder and toss out any that are related to your Screen preferences. Not convinced what all might be involved there but it's entirely possible the old prefs are not quite compatible with Lion or have been corrupted.

Keep the files around just in case you require/desire to put them back. Moving them out of the Preferences folder should be sufficient. Logout (perhaps even reboot) and see if that helps.

I found you be able to acquire your wallpaper back if you do Settings>Displays>Arrangement and check "Mirror displays" on and off.

I just started getting this trouble after the last update (10.7.2). Secondary display goes gray after wakeup or screensaver. The only thing I found to restore the background quickly is to run terminal and use "kill all Dock" it's a little faster than rebooting. Apple needs to step it up and confirm this as a legit bug in the OS. I miss my Snow Leopard.