Thread: Microsoft removed / hidden the Startup Options (F8) a terrible omission on Windows 8

Microsoft removed / hidden the Startup Options (F8) a terrible omission on Windows 8

Today, when Win8 So I have to function as a virtual machine in Virtual Box all working fine. I try to change my graphics card driver in order to obtain adequate support drivers using Virtual Box, but unfortunately Windows starts with a blank screen. No problem, I think, and you can always use last known good configuration boot options using F8. But to my surprise, it seems that Microsoft has removed or hidden these options! These are very important for the coach of the media! I am an IT consultant in an SME, and now I'm beginning to think that Microsoft will make this next operating system very difficult for us to solve problems. I can see the direction to go with 8, but if you're not careful they will completely alienate business users.

Re: Microsoft removed / hidden the Startup Options (F8) a terrible omission on Windows 8

You should revive, then enable safe mode, then install that additional driver first. Any troubles from there and you can log in on safe mode and uninstall the driver.

Re: Microsoft removed / hidden the Startup Options (F8) a terrible omission on Windows 8

You see the issue is that because it is able to push back the new driver can not even get to that screen, my guess would be that the operating system goes from VGA mode roughly right away. I can see no way to pass this without a reinstall pressing F8 takes you to a blank screen for a bad display driver. This is a terrible failure of the new operating system! Try it and see what I mean, literally, no solution without reinstall or repair the installation.

No, the update means that basically you can reinstall the operating system and maintain your personal data. Do you have the installation media nearby? You should be able to boot to it, and run an update.

I see what you're saying, however still, I believe this is a problem with the method Windows 8 has been build and needs alteration. People are not going to want to leave your installation DVD. Etc simple things like a bad display driver. Too many times I've seen the features of Microsoft to remove and, in doing so, without the operating system or software more difficult to solve.

What I am saying is that it should be possible to enter VGA mode without installation media

So do not forget we are running an Alpha version, with many more releases and updates in the media before the final release. Most likely a temporary problem and is fixed in the future. Just out of curiosity, what version of Windows 8 running? x86 or x64? And which driver? You are running a virtual machine that you should not install the drivers for specific hardware unless you are really working directly as a dual boot. Just ignore it. Need more information on the system.

Ok if I understand correctly, you say that you can not reach the screen where you can select Last Known after setting up Windows 8? Is this in the VM Host or real? I'm operating x64, VirtualBox provides a display driver as part of customer additions - allowing better support for accelerated 2D / 3D, that I am using VT-x

I think he means on the inside of VirtualBox. But I would have believe a straightforward assembly of the installation disk was all that was necessary. Do you really need the addition of guests? I think that Windows Update will provide all the necessary drivers. Could anything in conflict with the default display driver. Were there any problems before installing this new driver?

So, I understand that the OS was a little slow, so I was hoping that the Guest Additions have to improve some of the graphics presentation, there is no issue actually. This is obviously not a production machine for the long haul
    It's more that I'm wondering if the OS would be released without the features to be accessible, and the implications for businesses. VGA mode can be very useful, and I see no good reason for that is inaccessible

All I can propose is do a clean install and allocate more RAM to the virtual machine, or run as a dual boot directly. I can almost guarantee that VGA mode work when installed directly, and if not, then something bad does not know me.
    Microsoft will not launch an operating system running part, and this is only Alpha. I guarantee that you have been notified of the problem and are working on a solution, provided there is a roadblock at the end.