Thread: Corrupt drive encryption in Mac OS X lion (10.7.2)

Corrupt drive encryption in Mac OS X lion (10.7.2)

One of the most useful features of OS X 10.7 was the ability to encrypt an entire drive. Using Disk Utility and choosing "Mac OS Extended (Journaled, encrypted)" to format the disk, unit can be configured so that can only be mounted by entering a password. I created a few of these records and have been able to use without problems on my Macbook Pro with Core i7 OS X 10.7 and 10.7.1.But with 10.7.2, all that changed.

I took a extra drive and tried to format with encryption. Disk Utility crashed part-way in silence. I format the disk without encryption - no trouble. I took another drive and attempt to mount encrypted. Again, the key was accepted on the first try, but the operating system was reported that the unit cannot be read. We present the password dialog again, and this time rejected the password.

It is possible that the OS X 10.7.2 itself is not directly responsible. The fact that I was able to connect to an encrypted drive once without problems suggests that the trouble might be with an adjustment or extension to be added to the system, when you restore from my backup. If I had to take a deduction, my first believe would be PGP engine. But it's worth remembering that everything worked fine before 10.7.2. Anyone have similar experiences / dissimilar?

Re: Corrupt drive encryption in Mac OS X lion (10.7.2)

Follow-up to my post, reading around a bit more in this forum shows that I am not alone, and that PGP seems to be involved

I was able to successfully mount as a unit in a machine 10.7.1, if that's any consolation. So that your data is not lost! Do not clean this unit! Just find a Mac 10.7.1 and Lion may be mounted at least to get the data from it.

However, the disk utility in 10.7.1 will not let me decipher, but it fails with an unknown error (and nothing in the records!).But at least I can see the disk and copy files to / from it as long as a system 10.7.1.

This is in reality crazy. I cannot understand why PGP would be involved, but I guess you're right. I have PGP on all machines in question and who had previously used pgpwde before upgrading to Lion. But that was why I chose Leon encrypted disks for my new USB drive - because I trusted Symantec Apple over Big mistake of fact, since my two USB drives encryption pgpwde ride well in 10.7. 2 even though you cannot encrypt the root volume or use PGP Desktop PGP to encrypt the new volumes.

Double-click the hard disk encryption Utility does nothing and there are no options available for the menu bar than images / checksum.

If you try to install Mac OS X from the recovery disc, the only partition that the installer gives me the recovery is high definition. In other words, it seems as if the installer cannot see the partition, where all my wok and applications reside.

1. Start the Mac in recovery mode by pressing Cmd-R, while the restart.
    2. When the window 'Mac OS X Utilities is displayed, choose Terminal from the Tools menu at the top of the screen.
    3. The use of terminals to manually remove all components of the PGP.
    4. reboot.

Have followed this procedure, and now I am able to mount and work with an encrypted volume that was previously unusable. If my understanding of the issue is correct, I think there is a great likelihood that it will solve the problem of "prohibition sign that other PGP / Lion users found.

However, as always, your mileage may vary, and you follow these suggestions at your own risk.

I had a similar trouble. I used the diskutil command to encrypt my hard Core Storage internal start and a secondary drive. I used the recovery disk to reinstall Leo the operating system on my internal hard drive and put it back in 10.7.1 it works fine. I however then decrypt all my records that I used the command line utility disk utility core Storage command line when running 10.7.1. I then updated to 10.7.2 and my computer is working fine now. I also had to reapply to update the recovery of Leon to use the Find My Mac on icloud.

I have not tried to use the CLI tools encrypt again for the time units to observe if the trouble is when units figure 10.7.2. I will keep all posted on that once I have the opportunity. Now I think I have PGP installed but not active. I'll keep that in mind to solve troubles.

My most important point: I stopped short of applying the same procedure for my second Macbook Air. If he had, would have serious problems for now. Imagine people out there that use FileVault, even for all external drives, including TimeMachine.Chances are facing loss of important data.

I have not found any recommendation or warning on the Apple website, but I can be wrong, I do not check every hour. I understand this is a serious upgrade, by the apples, 10.7.2, iOS 5 and icloud. However, this is also the update routine worst I originate many years. Too many errors, too little information from Apple.

After removing all the components manually PGP, my computer starts normally. My encrypted volumes can be mounted and used without problems (so I'm happy to say that the title of this thread is misleading: the units are not really damaged).

If you have PGP installed, I recommend you remove it. If not, you may have to look at other software, in particular, anything that installs a kernel extension. If you are seeing the "prohibition sign, you may also want to check that none of the key system folders - such as the System or the Library - have been moved or renamed.