Thread: Folders unable to remember my view setting in Mac OS X Lion

Folders unable to remember my view setting in Mac OS X Lion

Since I upgraded to Lion, my folders to keep "forgetting" the configuration of my sight. Mainly, I forgot to "Keep arranged by name" configuration (no longer seems to exist as "Keep Organized by", and forget the icon size.

Sometimes you remember the settings for a while and well and then when I least expect I will return to a folder and set it again. Does anyone else have this problem? I hope they fix it soon!

Re: Folders unable to remember my view setting in Mac OS X Lion

Similar trouble here, but I notice it especially seems that only the Finder to open "Macintosh HD", other points of view seem to recall the unit.

My Mac often suffers from this problem too. This is extremely ordinary in Lion; along with desktop icons forget their positions in these debates and nobody has an answer yet. It can only assume the solution of this trouble is an extremely elevated priority for Apple, and should not have to wait too long for a solution. Maybe an OS X 10.7.1.1?

Quote Originally Posted by olenka View Post
    My Mac often suffers from this problem too. This is extremely ordinary in Lion; along with desktop icons forget their positions in these debates and nobody has an answer yet. It can only assume the solution of this trouble is an extremely elevated priority for Apple, and should not have to wait too long for a solution. Maybe an OS X 10.7.1.1?
    Apple recommended type tear Preferences folder. That seemed to set a day and then back to the view options oblivion. Lion has a long way to go. I have to recommend AGAINST Mac to friends and associates at the moment and I have been the biggest fan of Mac since 1986.

I have the same trouble, the browser forgets the views I got, and also the position of icons in icon view. This happens during the day, I got a view, and check "always open in icon view" and "Search icon view" and in a few hours out of control and gets forgotten.

It is very difficult to work well, when things are mixed up and incompetent, I look forward to Apple fixes this soon.

I can set the view configuration and wait until you reboot. After rebooting the most sizes of files and folders icon back to a small size. I arrange icons by name and have - mostly! Desktop icons have the size. When I open my HD folder icons have their size. It’s the folder icons that change - but some do not! I went to my local Best Buy and tested view options in a Lion Macbook Air running. When I opened the folder icons were different in size 64x64. Restart the air and the icons are kept in the size of 64x64.

I've posted several other Lion "quirks", but not this one. I was on the phone with Apple Care and had no response. This is my fourth Mac on my PowerBook 160 and my OS fifth or sixth. I am moving to a year old PB G4 PPC running Tiger 9. I've been on the phone with Apple Care of Lion again in the last week since my Macbook Pro in the last 20 years since I started using Macs. Last night I told the tech that it was unfair to install a beta version of León in the new Macs without telling customers.

Yes, this is exactly how it works for me too - my top-level folders seem to retain the settings, but not lower-level folders and restore themselves after what appears to be a certain amount of time. Desktop icons are well and top-level folders are fine.

In fact, once, after you restart, Lion suddenly decided that he preferred to all my desktop icons are arranged neatly in three vertical columns on the right side of the screen. It was also decided that he did not like my choice of available icons for various folders on my G5 10.4.11 system, also on the network.

I seem to have established a explanation which is not perfect, nevertheless it's working so far. On the whole you need to remove all files. DS_Store on your hard drive and perhaps other mounted volumes. The utility used is "iRemove. DS_Store files", which is free of charge. Note that the crossing out. DS_Store file restarts more than a few things as the place of icons, window size, view settings etc. Also, remove "Date customized" of metadata folders (not files). It will take away "Date Added" the metadata of files and folders. "Creation date" metadata is retained for the folders and files.

I know the view configuration, etc. will be reset. Nevertheless I knew it was going to take away the attribute modification date of folders that I actually required to go, so with any luck this will help to caution others about the effects of removing these files.

Using folder actions, you can create a script so each time you open the folder view is set a certain way. Right click on a folder and click the folder action. There are no scripts on the Internet that can be tested.

I had this trouble with the subfolders of the folder / Library. Elimination of the (corrupt). DS_Store file in the folder / Library, then reboot fixed it. In your case, you could try deleting the file. DS_Store in the highest folder with subfolders are forgetful, and then reboot.

A simple way to make visible the hidden files is to run this AppleScript, then reboot: do shell script "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles truth”. After deleting the file. DS_Store, change true to false, run it, and reboot the system to reverse this scenario.