Thread: How to transfer user files to new computer without creating new user in Mac OS X Lion?

How to transfer user files to new computer without creating new user in Mac OS X Lion?

I know this is probably listed here, but I searched for two days and I have not found. I am very confused and frustrated. I set up my new iMac running Lion Wednesday. When I originally tried to migration in the setup wizard, the only way to migrate a computer to another was the wifi. After that no / froze three times .I just jump to the set in the configuration so that I could use my computer. After reading some posts, I realized that he could emigrate to essentially make my old computer (Macbook Pro) an external hard drive and holding down the "T" when rebooted. When I said that cannot be transferred to the user with the same name the new team, I changed the name.

That worked faster and need to transfer all my things. I went to put my iTunes and iPhoto and realized that I could not find the migrated files. I read another message saying that now I have another user and have to exit and enter that user to get files. No two users want; I want one that has all my stuff! Now maybe I did something wrong or do not fully understand the process, but is there some way I should do? I read that you can delete the "admin" my computer somehow created and use only migrated from your old PC as my main account user or just leave them both. What is the best choice here? I would appreciate any help anyone can give. Thanks for your time.

Re: How to transfer user files to new computer without creating new user in Mac OS X Lion?

Leave the account created in the Setup Wizard and log into the account you emigrated from his former team. The preferences of open accounts click the lock icon and enter the administrator password for the migrated account. Select the account created in the Setup Wizard and click Delete button [-] to delete. Select the elimination of others. You now have a user account - the account name who emigrated from his former team

Create a temporary account third. The name "temp" and make use of "temp" as the password (without the quotes.) Make the state of the new administration account. quit the current account and enter temperature. Now eliminate both of the other accounts. Then connect the computer via a Firewire cable as before. Booting the old computer in Target Disk Mode. Now migrate again to your old account with Migration Assistant. After migration is complete temperature log and log into your old account. Delete the temporary account. This will give you an account with the Similar name that originally used.

Re: How to transfer user files to new computer without creating new user in Mac OS X Lion?

As soon as I posted this, showed me the apple "just" to the right and found myself with all the threads asking the same thing! But now I'm very new at this I do not know how to get rid of my question. Maybe someone can tell me if there is, whether it is possible that my old computer to an external hard drive and just pull in my files from iTunes and iPhoto files, since it is the most important thing you need anyway. Then simply delete the migrated user.

I think that when you connect your iMac Macbook (using a double-headed USB cable), you can use the Migration Assistant (application) to transfer data through "another Mac."

I also had a range of migration issues including users LiĆ³n few ghost and upgrade issues. Let me know!

I read that a lot of times, but I'm still a bit confused by it. I know it's pretty straightforward. I spent so much time on this already and done all the updates, I'm very hesitant to clean your computer and start again

I tried it with USB and FireWire and would not let me do anything nevertheless Mac transfer Mac wifi. However, if you hold down the "T" on the old computer (I guess this is called Target Disk Mode?), I cannot do firewire on my computer, which in this way is another "unity".

Quote Originally Posted by Baako View Post
    I tried it with USB and FireWire and would not let me do anything nevertheless Mac transfer Mac wifi. However, if you hold down the "T" on the old computer (I guess this is called Target Disk Mode?), I cannot do firewire on my computer, which in this way is another "unity".
    No USB. Firewire or Ray, if supported on both machines. On otherwise it looks very confusing and complicated for me! I'm sure I would get something!

My biggest concern is getting the iTunes library and iPhoto library so when I sync my iphone not panic b / c the songs are not there and the photos are not there .