Thread: Unable to Turn on FileVault on Mac OS X Lion

Unable to Turn on FileVault on Mac OS X Lion

Yesterday, I perform clean installation of the Mac OS X Lion on Macbook. Now, after the clean install, it won’t help me to turn on FileVault. After finishing this clean installation computer restart and then grey screen arrives on it. Then the FileVault options never turn on. I hope that many user already do this task. Then share your own experience about this issue. Thanks.

Re: Unable to Turn on FileVault on Mac OS X Lion

Clean installation is done by using installation DVD. In that case, I recommended to you for make sure the disk you use for installation. Sometimes it could be possible that the problem is exist in the DVD. We need to change DVD on such conditions. This process helps to perform an clean OS installation and in result, you can find that all the behavior of your system has been changed completely. It could be possible that FileVault option is turn on automatically.

I have facing almost similar problem. After clean installation process, I turn on this FileVault. Then system reboot regularly. Then I decided to turn off this option. Hence I do this and FileVault will still be turned off. I want to makes a separate volume for your home folder and encrypt the contents of it. It helps to me for improve the security of system. Is there any way to do this task by turning on FileVault?

If you store sensitive information on your computer, you should consider using FileVault. In Mac OS X, FileVault stores the encrypted file system as a Sparse Disk Image, which is essentially a single large file. You need to check error message in your /var/log/kernel.log. if there is something error onto it, it also describe the reason and solution of this error message. Try to apply it on your system.

Quote Originally Posted by ZAHAR View Post
    If you store sensitive information on your computer, you should consider using FileVault. In Mac OS X, FileVault stores the encrypted file system as a Sparse Disk Image, which is essentially a single large file. You need to check error message in your /var/log/kernel.log. if there is something error onto it, it also describe the reason and solution of this error message. Try to apply it on your system.
    I try to check this error message on /var/log/kernel.log. Then it describe shutdownstall log message with some hexadecimal number. I don’t understand the meaning of this message. Please help me to understand and solution over this message.

Quote Originally Posted by Gopooo View Post
    I try to check this error message on /var/log/kernel.log. Then it describe shutdownstall log message with some hexadecimal number. I don’t understand the meaning of this message. Please help me to understand and solution over this message.
    For solving this problem you need to search "CoreStorage" to find related logs. Then attach these logs at the time File Vault failed in system. Try this and locate the response over system. Try this and see what happen onto it.

If you search your /var/log/kernel.log for CoreStorage, you should be able to find related log messages about why encryption failed before it starts reverting. If this log message shows error code 0 then it proves that it means the encryption has finished successfully. Otherwise take help of the expert person to fix this complicated issue. You can use official as well as third party site help to do this task. It help you a lot to fix such complicated issue in easiest manner.

Because your home folder is encrypted, some tasks that normally access your home folder may be prevented. Hence the system will not able to turn on FileVault. In that case, you need to apply some technique to allow system for removing these prevention restrictions. The manual of the Mac OS X help to solve your problem. Remember one think that you can do this task by logging as admin.