Thread: Can I run .hlp files through local "winhlp32.exe"

question Can I run .hlp files through local "winhlp32.exe"

Hi,

".hlp" files are not running on Windows7 by default. For this Microsoft provided an update which download the latest “winhlp32.exe” in system folder and then .hlp files can successfully run using the latest “winhlp32.exe”. I have run .hlp through command prompt where .hlp file path is given as a command line argument to “winhlp32.exe”.

If I copy latest “winhlp32.exe” in local folder of application and then try to run the .hlp file through it then .hlp files failed to run and in a result message box with code (9009) appears.

Is it possible to run .hlp files through locally resided “winhlp32.exe”.?

Regards,
    Immi

Re: Can I run .hlp files through local "winhlp32.exe"

While searching about this on internet i found the following link. ;go with this link and see if its helpful for you or not. i am sure that this will help you to solve your issue.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607

question Re: Can I run .hlp files through local "winhlp32.exe"

Jugo,

Thanks for reply,

The update i referred can be found from the link you referred. i.e. Windows6.1-KB917607-x64.msu. Plus i already mentioned that it is provided my Microsoft.

This update copies latest "WinHlp32.exe" in "C:\Windows". After installing this update i am able to run .hlp files as well.

BUT

I do not want to install the update so i place latest "WinHlp32.exe" in local folder (my application folder) say "C:\Program Files\Sample Application\WinHlp32.exe" and trying to execute .hlp files using sample application path then it refuses to run and message box with code (9009) appears.

I am repeating for clarity if same winhlp32.exe is placed in C:\Windows then .hlp files can run through this path but not from sample application path.

so my question is that can i run .hlp files using winhlp32.exe from sample application path by some means?

Helloo? Still waiting .....

Yes you can Install WinHlp32.exe to open .hlp Files in Windows 7. Download Windows Help program (WinHlp32.exe) for Windows 7 from here and then install it in your pc. After installing it, you should now be able to open .hlp files using Windows 7 Help and Support.

star Re: Can I run .hlp files through local "winhlp32.exe"

Thanks for reply,

I don't know why i am unable to communicate my prb to you? Although i tried my best. I know that installing this in my pc will run the .hlp file.

Statement from my 2nd last reply:

"This update copies latest "WinHlp32.exe" in "C:\Windows". After installing this update i am able to run .hlp files as well.

BUT

I do not want to install the update so i place latest "WinHlp32.exe" in local folder (my application folder) say "C:\Program Files\Sample Application\WinHlp32.exe" .....................

please read it again.....

Regards,
    Immi

I dont think it is possible, you will have to install WinHlp32.exe and then only it will run or open .hlp files. I think windows need to recognize the installation procedure because manually if you try to do that then it will output the error that you have mentioned.