Thread: How to turn off "Reopen windows when logging back in" in Mac OS X v10.7 Lion?

How to turn off "Reopen windows when logging back in" in Mac OS X v10.7 Lion?

I am running my PC on Mac OS X v10.7 Lion. The problem I am getting with this is, every time when I shut down my PC then I get "Reopen windows when logging back in" and along with it I get a checkbox. If I will check this box on then it will open all the applications which are set as the startup apps (Like Skype, iTunes, etc.), when I will reboot again my PC. And if I will check this box off then it will also open all the applications but the difference will be that it will allow then to be hidden and run in background. By default it is always checked on, and therefore I have to check it off every time when I have to shut down my PC. It is really very irritating. Is there any workaround for this? Please reply.

Re: How to turn off "Reopen windows when logging back in" in Mac OS X v10.7 Lion?

Yes, the same thing is irritating me also. Actually I am fed up of un-checking the "Reopen windows when logging back in" checkbox each time when I shut down my PC. It is really ridiculous. Why Apple doesn’t test such basic things when they release their OS?

Re: How to turn off "Reopen windows when logging back in" in Mac OS X v10.7 Lion?

Sorry to say that but there is really no way to do this. As it will be checked by default, therefore each time you will have to check it off. You have no option other than manually un-checking the checkbox "Reopen windows when logging back in" every time when you will shut down your PC. You have to do it this way at least till when a dot release comes out, which can make you able to control it.

This really so surprising that there is really no option so that we can set that dialog box as unchecked by default. I am wondering that why they missed such a basic thing to include in their OS.

Here I want to add here something from my side. Actually we really require having an option to control this kind of features. I think this can be achieved by cocktail or even Tinkertool. I don’t have confirmed knowledge about it, but I will have a look on these programs. I hope it will work.

Yes, I agree that it is really becomes irritating when we have to uncheck every time we shut down our Macs. But in my case I follow a simple and quick way to uncheck that checkbox, and is just to press a simple space bar when you are shutting down your Mac. This way, you can at least lower the stress of un-checking it each time using mouse. I hope this will help you little bit in this case.

Yes, that trick is also nice trick. I tried doing that, but what I want is to have an option so that we can permanently uncheck it by default. Is there really not any of such an option? If not, then I hope that Apple releases a user control to handle this, as soon as possible.

Here is a perfect solution on how you can avoid that dialog box which says "reopen windows when logging back in"
    First thing that you have to do is to perform an ordinary restart of your Mac and this time make sure to uncheck the checkbox in that dialog box.
    Now, when your PC starts again then if you want to restart your PC again then, while in finder, press control+commamd+eject . It will make your PC to eject. And if you want to shut down your Mac then you will have to press control + option + command + eject. When you will press this then it will just skip that irritating dialog box and hence you don’t have to uncheck that checkbox again.

Thanks for sharing this workaround. It is really very nice and better solution. But then also it would be better if we had to just set that option once and then we just have to forget it. Isn’t there such option available in this OS?

Who says there isn’t any way to do this? you can try doing this.
    • First open ‘System Preferences’
    • Then in that look for general menu and then open that.
    • Now scroll to bottom and go to under “Number of recent items”.
    • There you will find a checkbox saying “Restore windows when quiting and re-opening apps”, just uncheck it once and then forget

As you mentioned above I tried going into System preferences but the setting that you told to set doesn’t controls the occurrence of that dialog box which comes when shutting off the PC.

Here is the easiest way that I have found to escape from this irritation. Whenever you are restarting your PC by going into Apple menu then you can try just holding down the option. I tried doing this it will just skip the dialog box which appears when you are restarting your PC. Next time it will not even launch those applications automatically which are set to be launched automatically on start up. Try this and see it helps you all or not.