Thread: stop the rearranging of icons on OS X Lion

stop the rearranging of icons on OS X Lion

I have upgraded my system to Lion and after installing while checking with my folders I noticed that the icons of the folder tend to rearrange themselves after that went to that folder again and found the it is same as earlier? Is it a bug? Can you recommend any solution????????

Re: stop the rearranging of icons on OS X Lion

When you put a lot of new pictures in folders may be any number of images the Finder crashes, and reboots. So it is very much possible that you might have lost all your finder settings. The same problem was with the Snow Leopard. The only improvement under Lion is, after the finder crashes, most icon still appear correct till 512 pixels but any image having resolution less than this can face problem, When using Snow Leopard most icon appeared 32x32 pixels! In lion, Most icon come back to correct expect some after close and reopen. Restart may seem more efficient... sometimes...

If your icons are not being displayed and you have difficulty in sorting your images you should try some steps that I have mentioned:
    Try using "Use as Defaults"? Which will set it to default setting
    • Open a Finder window
    • View
    • Show View Options
    • Set your view preferences
    • Use as Defaults (at the bottom)?
    • you can set you preferences for each view (List, Icon, etc...)
    • Whenever you will be using that view set the Finder window to your preferences.

When using Lion, You should keep in mind that whatever default you set the parent folder will not apply to the subfolder;You can have different views for different folders according to your requirements. The first choice that should be used is ‘Use as defaults' is all about (e.g. My preference for Icon View is: icon size as 128x128 which can exceed this size, grid spacing should be set to max, text size 13, arrange by Name).So whenever you choose icon view for a folder, it will be using those choices which are used for Icon View default.

I have been trying to make use of the .DS_Store files, but I not been able to successfully make the restore work. The main steps that are to be considered are: 1)you have to log in as root in order for the replacement file to actually take effect? it does work if by any problem it does not work then you have to follow these steps: take one of your folders and just sorting it by "Label" and use any silly color labels. This technique so not perfect, but at least it’s not rearranging them in every 30 minutes.