Thread: Permission denied message while trying to modify music file properties

Permission denied message while trying to modify music file properties

How to get rid of this permission denied error. I have some mp3 files in a folder. I downloaded this from an file sharing website. I want to modify the file properties to add the song info like artist, tracks, etc. But when I right click on the properties and make changes, it gives me permission denied error after clicking on OK. I do not understand the reason behind the same. This is only to this files. I have more than 700mb of downloads and each file is giving the same issue. I search on Internet and found this is due to some kind of permission problem. What is this file permission error. Is there any software for the same. But if I use that, will I get the same error. I tried restarting some times and even moving the files from one partition to other. But nothing helped out. The music files work in vlc. I can listen to proper audio, so that does not look like it is corrupted. I I also tried to modify the same from Windows Explorer where in the bottom side you can see the the edit info menu. It is not saving those given instruction. I am using Windows XP on my system. The default music player is Windows Media Player.

Re: Permission denied message while trying to modify music file properties

If you had purchased those downloads from any online store, then all information usually are included in it. Many of these downloads are DRM protected. That means you cannot modify the files.

This is because of virus. Scan your system in safe mode and see. Also right click on the taskbar and then see there is Task Manager visible or not. If not then that means the virus has disabled your Admin account. You do not have permission to modify the files. Boot in safe mode by pressing F8 continuously. In safe mode scan your system with a good antivirus. Right click on the file and click on Properties. Go to Security and check that your account has full privileges to modify this files. If cannot modify the settings, then the virus has corrupted your registry. There are many registry fix tools that can fix the same, but it is no worth. Many time you will also face to delete a file. The same error will appear. There is an tool for that called as Unlocker. You can right click on the file and then click on unlocker and after that you can modify or delete the files. Mostly this works in safe mode. Avoid downloading from torrents and untrusted websites for such virus issue.

I had faced a similar issue regarding this when I was trying to remove some icons from program files. Basically this errors appears when you ar not logged in Admin account. You will get error message like you need permission to perform this action. Login in your admin account and then check.

Use iTunes for this purpose. I found a similar guide for what you want to do. This is called as Tagging your music files. iTunes has more easier options for this purpose. So look on the link below and then download iTunes.
    Tips for iTunes Tagging

Yes this is definitely the same file permission issue. Because Windows cannot identify your account privileges. For that you can fix the issue by taking the file ownership. For removing program, you can do that from Add/Remove. But for music editing you have to take the file ownership. This is an security feature of Windows will does not allow any unauthorized changes to the system, which becomes annoying many time. First copy those file in a folder and right click on the Folder > Properties. Go in Security > Advance. Click on Object. Now click on Owner and then Edit. When you perform this you will be prompted to provide an Admin password. Type the password. Now in this yo can choose your user name in place of owner. Now you become the owner of folder and you have all rights to modify and delete the content. If you cannot find your name, then look for group. This same process can be carried out for the files also. Do not forget to reboot your system.

Do that in safe mode it will work. I did the same to remove some files. I was even not allowed to rename a file. In safe mode it works well. Surely some kind of infection blocking the access to files.

Restore your system. There is an service in Windows called as System Restore. Click on that and choose the first option of Restoring your system to older time. Go in the calender and choose the appropriate date. Restore it and then check back. It will work. There are possibility of virus. But when it work scan your system for infection and remove unwanted applications from the system.

There are many mp3 tagging tools you can use without doing all those stuff. Just download some easy to use tools. I am listing some of the most common tools that can help you for this purpose :
    • TuneUp : This is an addong for iTunes. You will need iTunes for this and this tool offers simple drag and drop feature to manage your mp3 files. You can also customize your music list and add many songs just by dragging it to the Tuneup bar. There are many options other than tagging.
    • MediaMonkey : This is an another music player. You can say it an best alternative for iTunes. iTunes have very straightforward interface with most basic settings. If you want some more advance options then MediaMonkey can help you. It is an complete audio management tool. You can simply import your entire settings. The software an strong support for tags based managed of music files.
    • ID3-TagIT : This is an free tool you can use. It is an small tool which you can use to tag your file. I use this, as there is nothing much in this just tagging support.
    • Mp3Tag : This tool has the best interface. You get an list of songs on the right side and when you choose any song you get columns on the left side. You can just add what you want. The tools allows you to batch edit your files. That means you can modify a large list of files with one click.