Thread: Windows XP User pasword screen freezed on Emachine 422

Windows XP User pasword screen freezed on Emachine 422

My laptop screen was broken and I had given the same for replacement. After some couple of week, I got the replacement for the same. I started the laptop and it booted fine. But I am not able to insert a password in that. The screen freezes on the user login. There is an blinking cursor inside the password box. That is not appeared. I pressed some keys, so that I can get a message of wrong password. But nothing happened. The system boots fine and I can even enter the bios. I do not understand what fault it is. How to fix this out. I have some important data in the laptop. Currently my cd drive is also not working. How to get those files and fix windows issue. Does I will need to format the same. I had already lost my original windows disc. I had purchased this laptop from a friend and I did not received any disc. It is will be too costly for me to go for an new windows copy for such an old laptop.

Re: Windows XP User pasword screen freezed on Emachine 422

Press the Num Lock or Caps Lock key to check that the laptop is not freezes. If the lights are blinking then it means the system is not having any issue related to hardware, but the os might need to be fixed. You can use any bootable windows disc to run start-up repair.

Boot in safe mode by pressing F8 on the start continuously. I think the system is getting freezes due to some incompatible files or it can also be due to virus. In safe mode do first thing, connect the usb and get your data backup. After that you can proceed for further troubleshooting steps. Go in control panel and remove all your unnecessary programs. Just for temporary purpose remove the antivirus also. Then boot in normal mode. Before that also remove your user account password and then restart. If the system boots properly, then it means there is some incompatible application or any malfunctioned hardware causing the issue. Updated your systems drivers. The laptop model is very old and I had searched on web there are no site which can provide the drivers. I am not sure about the recovery partition. Every laptop has an recovery partition which has Windows in it. You can run the same by pressing function key on boot.

You can use recovery console to fix your windows. But for that you will need a guide for the most common commands. You can boot recovery console from any windows disk. If possible keep a printout for methods provided in the link below.

Windows XP Recovery Console

You can live cd to get backup of your data. There are many free live cd you can use. Just run and boot from the same and then copy the data from it. Live CD are better way for data copy.

I think your operating system is corrupted, because of which you are getting this error. I can be a hard drive fault also or ram fault. There are certain ways to test that. Download Ubuntu image file from web and burn in on disc. When you boot from that disc you will get an option to install this side by side with windows. Choose that one. Without formatting your drive, Linux will be installed with windows. Boot in Ubuntu and first backup your data. Then you can run fresh windows format. But before doing that you must arrange the most appropriate driver copy of the file. Drivers are very important for every system. If you do found any drivers then it is not worth to format it completely as some of your hardware in the system will not work like audio, video etc. But if you run Windows update many issue related to that will be fixed. It is your choice. Data recovery can be a lengthier process, but go for the most safest one.

Screen does not has any related to the operating system. So when you changed the screen, surely the system is not affected by it. It is another issue. Run a startup repair for this.

When you come at login screen, press ctrl + alt + del. You can see a new dialogue box for adding new password and login account. Provide your login details and then check back again.

There are many reasons for this. I faced a similar kind of problem last month when my system freezes after typing the login password. I think this can help. When I enter the password and hit enter to login the system freezes. I found some solution on the web regarding this. This was because of explorer.exe. This service was corrupt. It is the desktop manager of Windows. I tried running the same many times via task manager but it does not worked. Anyhow in the end I formatted my system and it is working know. But for you if you can boot in safe mode, run system restore. It is located in Start > Accessories > Program Files > System Tools > System restore. In that click on restore to earlier point and choose an appropriate date from the calender. Restore your system properly and then check back. Or else you might need to format your system.