Thread: Dell Inspiron Mini - Windows file missing or corrupt

Dell Inspiron Mini - Windows file missing or corrupt

Hi guys,

Could really do with some help.

My daughter has a Dell Inspiron Mini and when she turned it on recently a message appeared saying windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt \windows\system32\config\system

I have searched all over the web to find a way to sort this issue but most ways to solve the problem involve inserting a start up disc. As she has the mini version of the Dell laptop there is no cd drive so I am unsure as to what I can do. If I have no place to insert a disc, how can I get past this?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated as I am a complete novice when it comes to technology of any kind.

Many thanks in advance.

Kerry

Re: Dell Inspiron Mini - Windows file missing or corrupt

Well, if the Dell starts then can you try to do a system restore (if there is even one there yet). If not, then get a external cd drive and try to do another install and choose the "repair" option. Who knows what caused the problem. Did your daughter install or remove any software after the installation? Might be some old software.

She is only 10 so I have no idea what she has been doing. Kids eh?

I don't think I can do a system restore because as soon as I turn the notebook on, it comes up with the message.

Have not really got the money to buy an external cd drive. Was hoping to find a cheap solution, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter81 View Post
    Have not really got the money to buy an external cd drive. Was hoping to find a cheap solution, lol.
    Well, i dont think it can stop you repairing your system. Forget about CD Drive. if you have the installation CD, make its ISO file from any another computer (any of your friend) using NERO or any good ISO maker. Take that ISO image in your pendrive, connect it with your laptop and copy the same in D or any drive but not in C drive. Now right click the iso and open it with WinRar. You will find Setup file in it. Double click the same and setup will run.