Thread: How to Share folders in Windows Xp

How to Share folders in Windows Xp

I have two computers at my home and both are connected via lan cable. Both of them have Windows xp installed in them . I have given all required details and ip address correctly but still I am not able to share the data .Can any one tell me how to share two folders in lan connection between two computers .

Re: How to Share folders in Windows Xp

To share the folders over network you need to access Simple File Sharing UI by viewing a folder's properties of both the computers . Through the Simple File Sharing UI, you can configure both share and NTFS file system permissions at the folder level by clicking on to the check boxes from property window . All the files in folders can be read and written by sharing them over the LAN . If you turn on and turn off Simple File Sharing, the permissions on files are not changed. The NTFS and share permissions do not change until you change the permissions in the interface.

To share data over network follow the instructions :

1. Click the start menu, then the Computer button on the right-hand portion of the menu.
    2. Double-click the hard disk drive
    3. Double-click the Users folder on the next screen.
    4. Right-click the Public folder and click Create shortcut.
    5. Rename the short cut folder to whatever you like, then drag it to the desktop.

This is the most simple awy and if all your settings are perfect then this should work if not the review our settings and IP address and try again .

To apply the file sharing on your LAN check for whether windows xp simple file sharing is enabled.Open my computer and navigate to the files , folders or drive folder to be shared, and click once on its icon to select it from either the file menu or the right-click menu, choose the sharing and security option and new properties window appears. If this option did not appear on the menu, ensure that a valid file or folder was selected in the previous step.click the network tab in the properties window. If no Network tab appears in the window, but a sharing tab appears instead, close this window and ensure the simple file sharing option was enabled in the earlier step before proceeding. Select the share this folder option in the properties window to enable sharing of this resource. This allows all other computers on the local network to access files folders or drivers but not modify them. To grant others permission to modify these files, click the allow network users to change my files checkbox to enable this option. Click apply save these settings.