Thread: Windows 7 was invalidated

Windows 7 was invalidated

Hi, I had an Acer laptop, there was some problem with its motherboard but the hard drive was fine so I inserted the hard drive in a Compaq laptop, it was running nicely for months but now I am having a problem with my Windows 7; yesterday I got a pop up saying that my copy of windows is not genuine and that the Microsoft will no longer be providing any support or updates. The copy of windows that I am using is genuine but yet it is giving me this same notification. Can anyone suggest me a solution how to get rid of this problem.

Re: Windows 7 was invalidated

The license of the OS was for Acer and it was not for Compaq. The OEM OS is locked to your Acer Machine. You should get the retail version of Windows 7 and then try and install the OS in your machine and then the problem should not arise.

Microsoft should serialize each and every copy of the OS ever issued so that the people don’t make many copies for their friends and if the serial key comes up on multiple Mac addresses a warning notification can be provided and then it can be locked if required instead of invalidating the software if there are multiple users for the same OS.

Your OS was showing that is not genuine because when you put the hard drive in another laptop, the information provided by OEM key was different and then when your windows got updated, it checked for the information and it showed that the version of OS you are using is not genuine. You should try reinstalling the OS on your Compaq by using the disc that came with your Acer laptop or by buying the OEM version of OS for Compaq.

You cannot buy the OEM versions of Windows as it does not have transfer rights. It cannot leave the hardware and cannot be duplicated from which it was activated. Even if you take Acer restore disk and try to use them on Compaq, yet it would not work. It would still give you the Windows Genuine Advantage Notification. If you install an OS from an Acer disc on a system that is not from Acer, it will ask you for the product license key. By doing this you will be violating the OEM license. I would advise you to read the license agreement and then you would actually understand that how does the license actually work.