Thread: Not able to install Vmware Workstation on Fedora

Not able to install Vmware Workstation on Fedora

I tried many time to get vmware work on Fedora. But there is some kind wont compile error. It crashes and not working at all. Does anyone is success enough to find this thing work on Fedora. If yes then how. Thanks.

Re: Not able to install Vmware Workstation on Fedora

There are was a similar error when I updated the kernel of Fedora 8. You won't get that error just like that, till you run some kind of major updates. At the time of update I faced that error that vmhgfs and vmxnet will not compile. I tried to find solutions on the same but there are hardly anything mentioned on this topic. There are some kind of patch that are available online you can download and run the same. This patches usually fixes many bugs but I do not believe this. I tried nothing worked out. You can try to re-install all that by taking the help of guide online. They show you proper steps and updates to run for installing this on Fedora. The issue is mainly related to Fedora and I think other operating systems does not gives you much trouble.

I was just testing the same and faced that error. But after getting updates for the workstation the problem disappeared. So better run new updates and then check back.

There are certain patch which you must run to fix the error. I found this patch from an thread which were discussing on similar topic. Download this and run. The again check that you are getting the same error or not.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I found an Fedora 8 VMware Image. You can get that from the below link. Download this and run it. There are many changes done to this version. As the operating system is open source, the image is optimized for better performance and work with Fedora. There are some improvement done to the image. This feature Gnome 2.20, an online desktop support, kde 3.5.8. xfce 4.4.4 and network manager. There are other key component added here. They are like PulseAudio, CodecBuddy, CompizFusion, etc. So better use the image file which is optimized for Vmware and this will surely not give you any kind of error. Just download and run the setup on this. Also look for better patches before doing the same. For this I do not think you will need a patch, but do check once. The size of download is 753MB

Fedora 8 VMware Image

Running better patches will surely fix the issue. You have to check properly that there are new updates available for the same. Run them and check back.

Here is short guide that can help you to install Vmware on Fedora. he installation is not tough. Once thing you must know that the current vmware product cannot work with higher version after Fedora 13. There is an easy install disc which can make your process easy. But still I am providing manual tips. I am just providing you this step in order to test that vmware will work on Fedora or not. You can dual boot your system for this. Restart after installation and in root type - yum update. Now run yum install gcc make kernel-devel perl kernel-PAE-devel. If you are using an 64 bit version of the os or any other then remove kernel-PAE-devel. After that you have to run Vmware instillation. Type - mkdir /mnt/tmp.. Now access to Fedora rom and extrct tar.gz file to /mnt/tmp. The command is - cd /mnt/tmp (tar zxpf /media/VMware Tools/VMwareTools-8.4.4-301548.tar.gz ). Run ./vmware-install.pl.