Thread: I am having a Diskless OEM Windows 7 in a Virtual Machine

I am having a Diskless OEM Windows 7 in a Virtual Machine

I am having a new Acer computer that has a diskless version of Windows 7 installed. I am using OpenSuse linux as primary OS. I want to get rid of the Windows 7 partition and making other use of it as a guest on my Opensuse system. Can anyone tell me a way to get Windows 7 into a VM without needing to go out and pay money for a copy given that I own the copy that came with the system? I'm not trying to install it on a dissimilar computer - just as a VM on the system it came with. This would be an entirely more suitable than having to dual boot as I am doing now. Since I barely use Windows and believe it is essentially unsecure, I do not want to use it as my primary operating system.

Re: I am having a Diskless OEM Windows 7 in a Virtual Machine

I just have made a check that with English and German languages versions for two diverse flavors of Windows 7 and regarding the license terms it is perfectly ok to hypervisor on the similar hardware platform where it was originally installed on.This could vary depending upon the country you are residing in.

Please accept my heartfelt Thanks for Your advice. Away from the legalities, since I am having no operating system DVD, Can you tell me that how can I go about getting it into a virtual machine?

You are all free for installing the free VMware Converter inside Windows and p2v the local host. AFAIK Windows 7 is not given support for yet. But the thing you can do is that give it a try. Another way may be to using the physical Windows 7 partition as a RDM (Raw Device Mapping). But that I would say is dependent on the disk drivers used in the physical and virtual machine. They must be well-suited. I came across a thread about that. By the way, if the license would not allow this, we're not allowed to help here.

Thanks, I will be giving this a try. My knowledge pertaining to the thread is that I get grub4dos and boot that in a Virtual Machine and then from that boot the Windows 7 partition. Is that right? I want to get rid of the native Windows partition altogether as there is no need to boot from it and it hogs half my hard disk. It seems to have a necessary file midway in the physical hard disk and won't allow plummeting its partition size by more than half

: I recommend you may try sandeploy boot server, can OEM diskless boot windows and linux in virtual machine.