Thread: Using VMWare Player in a company environment?

Using VMWare Player in a company environment?

Hello friends I just wanted to ask here that if it will ground any license issue if I am going to use the vmware player in a company environment? What I have observed is that there is 2 version of eula:
    • "VMware Player is intended for your own personal non-commercial use only"
    • which has not included that whether VMware Player may be processed for for commercial usages.
    essentially, we are trying to use vmware player with a number of handy OS imagery for software development intention in our company, So I just wanted to figure it out here that if that is legal application of vmware player.

Re: Using VMWare Player in a company environment?

VMware Player is the free of charge usage creation of VMware. But the thing is that you will be requiring VMware Workstation or VMware Server for creating a Virtual Machine. Are you having any Virtual Machine for use of Player? But Honestly I will tell you that , You should try contacting them for the same

Can somebody guide me here?

If you search for VMware player create image in Google search box, u acquire a lot of blogs, articles, forum debate on how to create VMware image with VMware player. Basically, here are my steps to create windows XP image using VMware player:
    1. Make a blank disk file (*.vmdk) using QEMU (which is open source). In my case it was an empty 2MB file which could have been expanded to 30GB.
    2. Make my VMware config file (*.vmx), add some entries, as well as one for load an iso file (in my case, it's windows XP installation disk)
    3.Begin the VMware image by it; it will be booting the iso file. Now install the windows to the blank disk file you created. What I am worried is whether it will reason any legal or license issue if I use VMware Player in a commercial environment in this way.

Hello friends I am having a similar query here can any suggest something? I am familiar with that the licensing for this speaks that it's free for personal, non-commercial use, but I am working in a company that is having a few software that is not working in windows 64 bit and VMware player I guess is a ideal resolution for a handful of us. Is this software permissible to be used in a corporate environment with not having to buy workstation? Player is giving us the whole thing we need.

Guys I also want the answer to this can someone help?

According to the VMplayer guidelines I read on their site
    What does it cost? VMware Player is free for personal and non-commercial uses. VMware Player is available to be distributed only with on paper consent from VMware. But One can apply to their corporate usge on the link they have provided on their terms and condition manuals You can check it their to request a distribution agreement.

I would rather suggest you to that if you're just downloading one copy of VMware Player and making use of it on one physical machine for your personal use and that is the whole figure of installs in your organization then just do it or else if multiple users and or multiple physical machines then click on the link provided by them on their online manual "apply here" link and fill out the form.

but there's you go I would like to tell you that we are not "distributing" it. We are merely using it perhaps on 6 systems for each person’s use. I believe VMware would have the perfect answer on this but I wish the eula would be more clear. Thanks for the response so quickly though.

It is characteristic and quite usual in many commercial environments that the clients are not allowed for installing any software with no authorization and in a lot of case they still can't install it even if the software in question is okayed and is then typically installed by somebody on the IT Staff and IMO this is where distribution/redistribution from the outside the bounds of non-commercial individual utilization comes into action. The technique I see it is you can just install the software and be done with it and who's going to know or care whether or not you’re in fulfillment or fill out the form in the effort to be compliant whether or not it's essential and or your organization has subscribed to being compliant.