Thread: FOSS for low end system is worth or not

FOSS for low end system is worth or not

I have some couple of clients who are working on relatively old system. Now they plan for upgrade. They do not want any high end system, just to run their web camera. I am going to suggest them go for open source os like Linux. Will this be worth.

Re: FOSS for low end system is worth or not

Yes, you can tell them to go for Linux. They are many Linux version that can even work on 256Mb ram and for the cam support you just need to find the proper drive file. That's all. There are many free FOSS apps also.

That is right. Even if you tell them to use Windows XP you will atleast need a better ram and processor to run it. But in Linux some old versions are more then enough. You can tell them to install any distro that can work on the lowest ram. One of the version that I recommend is Puppy Linux. It can work on 256mb ram support also. This operating system is also equipped with multiple software support needed for daily work. For example you can use a CD rom on it with flash drive support. You can also install a zip drive and additional hard drive. The booting and setup is very easy and installing app is also not a tough issue. It comes with an gui support so that any user can use it properly. This operating system consumes less than 100mb of less space. But remember when you are installing it you need a appropriate disc partition that Puppy Linux can read or else the installation will not work. I had tested this on 3GB drive space and works nicely. There are window manager support on this which gives a very similar look of older version of windows operating system,. Other than this you get Mozilla, Gaim, Abiword, etc with and you can also configure additional software on the same.

I had run Slackware Linux on an old system. This is more stable then other light Linux os. It is basically designed for very low machines and works well with old hardware. The installer can run easily on Pentium 2 machines.

I too recommend Slackware. I had worked on this for an small work where the laptop was extremely old. There was no camera and just usb support. This operating system is very low but nice for basic work. So here you can use this on many of your low grade systems. It needs around 800mb of free space to run. You can also configure the updates of this package. It is possible to trim it down and use it on Slackware. The operating system is equipped with an window manager. It is an light weight application which does not eat much of your ram. Second thing you get xfce, fluxbox and fvwm. The operating system is specially trimmed for slow machines. You can manage many of your work on the same. There is another similar os which is called as ZipSlack. It is best for old hardware. The operating system runs on FAT partition.

I have some more listing of light weight Linux operating system. You can choose any of them for older machines.
    • Debian Linux -- This is for average systems, Pentium 3/4 type. You can simply use this and there are vast amount of packages available for this operating system.
    • Damn Small Linux -- You can run this for live dis also. It is possible to use multiple hard drive and usb media on this.
    • Vector Linux -- It is an very user friendly operating system. An part of Slackware.
    • STX Linux -- Based on Slackware and Puppy Linux. Has many features and support.
    • PXES Linux Thin Client -- Just an 17mb operating system can be run from anywhere.