Thread: Need help on editing grub.cfg for dual boot with windows 7: Ubuntu.

Need help on editing grub.cfg for dual boot with windows 7: Ubuntu.

Hello Friends I just have tried installing Ubuntu 9.10 and I was expecting that I can go for a dual boot from with windows 7. I just don’t know how to fix it so I need the help from your side when I tried to boot to my windows 7 I get a message showing me the error that it was an invalid signature. I outlined this is as the only booting choice is chainloader +1. I am looking for somehow edit the grub.cfg by my own for adding it in the boot options or else I have to manually type them in every time I want to boot to windows 7. I observed that I will have to have the rights from root. Can You guys tell me that How do I should I be login as root to fix my subject.

Re: Need help on editing grub.cfg for dual boot with windows 7: Ubuntu.

I think you don’t have to login as a root do the following :
    1. Press the key ALT+F2
    2. Followed by the command gksudo gedit <path/to/filename.ext>

OK! But When I am doing that it is telling sending me to home/(username)/boot/grub/ for I don’t know what reason . Sorry But I am a bit naïve in case of Ubuntu

I think you will have to do one thing please check if it helps you. I guess it will.
    You just need to put a / before boot/grub so that it will be enabled to read the gksudo gedit /boot/grub/grub.cfg

the same problem I am having again. It is not allowing me to save and it just keeps on saying that it is read only.

Well I would say that If the new grub has just been installed you should not be editing the grub.cfg. There are multiple no of files that get their place in the into grub.cfg on each update or your when you create a modification you try running the update. In my opinion All youshall be doing is that you have to locate the windows is: sudo update-grub This will allow osprober that discover further operating system and updates and modification you have made to it to gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub Which is obviously a fresh file that is like the comment region in old menu.lst. The Grub 2 Guide (which was formerly known as Grub 2 basics) If prober does not put a right entry in then the thing you can do is you can duplicate your access to 40_custom, try editing that and then try running the update. You can turn off the osprober to stop duplicate entry in /etc/default/grub with the entry GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER="true"

I just don’t understand then Why the hell does google and the other sites keep on giving the directions on editing the grub.cfg and not what you are suggesting? It's very annoying. Anyways kindly do let me try this let me see if it can help.

OSprober jus don’t simply add the correct parameters for windows 7. It only makes an account for chainloader +1. I think that I am sure to a fare extent that this will be solving it. I can add them directly when I boot through GRUB but they won't save. So far I am presuming that this is the only possible solution for the way to fix this.

Well Guys thats fine but there some point which is to be noted before you can go for the same:
    • You must be having a firm, established backup process for all your data.
    • You must be possessing the tools and the information to rapidly recover from disasters. This includes being able to restore a prior system image, fix broken configurations, restore the bootloaders, and more.
    • You must be confident in what you are doing

phantom309 Guest

$ sudo -s

Will get you into root.

phantom309 Guest

I have a dual boot, dual disk system. Windows 7 one drive and Ubuntu 12.04 on another. I manualy booted through my Bios to get to Ubuntu after update. Then in Terminal, I used;

$ sudo add-get-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair && sudo apt-get update

Then

$ sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair && boot-repair

A boot repair pain will pop up and use "Recommended repair" button
    (repairs most frequent problems)

You should get the Grub during boot... Select what OS you want...

Hope this can be useful...