Thread: how can I use smartcam in ubuntu

how can I use smartcam in ubuntu

I have seen the smartcam application software which is used to turn the camera phone like S60, Android with the help of the Bluetooth or wifi into a webcam which can be used with the PC. So this software is nice one. I liked this software. I have heard that this software actually works with the ubuntu . I have ubuntu installed on the system. And I want to use this software. So anyone knows how to make the program work with the ubuntu and how to use it with the msn.

Re: how can I use smartcam in ubuntu

Yes this software is really good one and works with ubuntu itself. Since I am using it on the ubuntu and it is running perfectly without any issue. You can install this application by downloading it form sourceforge site and install the application though the terminal of the ubuntu.

Yes samrtcam software works with the linux operating system. And I am using it with my nokia phone and it is working perfectly without any issue with it. I have the steps for the fedora since I am using it on my system and since ubuntu is also linux you can follow the same steps.
    • Download the newver version of samrtcam which is available for linux.
    • Unzip the smarcam software content.
    • You can do this from the command prompt
    • Type unzip samrtcam.zip file in terminal
    • $ cd smartcam/
    • $ patch -p0 < smartcam-linux-2.6.27.1.patch patching file src/driver/smartcam.c
    • Now compile the drivers
    • $ cd src/driver
    • $ make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build M=`pwd` modules
    • Enter in directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.27.21
    • make directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.27.21'
    • Now type $ sudo insmod smartcam.ko which will load it
    • To check if it loaded perfectly type $ lsmod | grep smartcam
    • Now retun to smartcam directory by entering $ cd ../..
    • now execute ./release/smartcam in directory it will install it perfcetly

Yes what he is saying is right these are the perfect steps and works perfectly to run the application on the linux based system. Only thing I want to mention is that before trying to add it in ubuntu check the kernel version first if the kernel version is 2.6.28.XX then you have to patch the smartcam after installing it. You can download the patch file from the internet search for the patch for kernel version I have mentioned you will get it.

Thanks for providing the steps. I have done all the steps but now getting the error which says I don’t have the libbluetooth while running it. so can anyone tell me how to solve the problem of this.

Yes I have also got this error message which tells that the libbluetooth not found. So I have tried this to resolve this so follow this steps this will help you to resolve the error message.
    • Go to terminal prompt
    • Now type $ sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libbluetooth.so.3.2.0 /usr/lib/libbluetooth.so.2
    • Try this command for compiling
    • Now type $ cd src/app
    • For adding the package type$ gcc `pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+-2.0 gthread-2.0` -lbluetooth smartcam.c -o smartcam
    • Now go back to ./samrtcam
    This will solve the error message you are getting.

You have to also need to install the application on the phone to get it working. I think there is latest version 1.3 is available for download for series 60 phones. You can download it form the net . it will be .sis file. Now add the file to the your mobile phone. Now you can able to use the phone as the webcam for computer.

There is also the latest version of it is out 1.4 which is available for download so try to download it from the sourceforge since it has solved the many of the issues which are in the version 1.3 .

Yes I agree that the new version of the application is available for download. But according to me it is not working properly. Having some sort of the problems with this version. So use the older version 1.3 only until the issue gets pointed out and resolved. It is actually causing the problem while running it with the bluez package. And there is no way to resolve it.

Yes the process he told is actually the installation of the driver and not for the installation of the smartcam. So try to do the following steps to install it.
    • After following the process what he says now go to the directory smartcam/src/driver
    • Now run the command $sudo cp smartcam.ko /lib/modules/2.6.27.21-170.2.56.fc10.i686/extra/
    • Now enter $ sudo /sbin/modprobe videodev
    • $ sudo /sbin/insmod smartcam.ko
    • Now run $ /sbin/lsmod | grep smartcam