Thread: windows 7 64 bit stopped running host files

windows 7 64 bit stopped running host files

Hi, I have personal computer and I have installed windows 7 64 but in that, but don’t know because of some problems, it has stopped running some of the host files.

And I have started noticing this after my browser started crashing. And all the processes gets stuck and none of host files were running. I am not very much aware about this files but still want to know about that as is there any way through which we can run them again.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Re: windows 7 64 bit stopped running host files

I don’t know what could be the reason for this, but I know what is host files little bit.

The hosts file is one of numerous system amenities to help in addressing network nodes in a computer network. It is a universal part in an operating system's Internet Protocol (IP) execution, and give out the function of translating human-friendly hostnames into number format protocol addresses, which is usually called as IP addresses, that recognize and place a host in an IP network.

I have completely no idea about this as I’d believe some sort of corruption with it, but as in my case it was it was properly opening in Notepad without any odd artifact showing it’s hard to tell. There’s forever a prospect that there are few non-standard whitespace characters in the unique copy of the hosts file that don’t get brought over while the stuff rather content are copied and pasted, but who knows.

I’ve tried just cutting the data from that file and pasting them back in, followed by saving the file but for some reason it merely works while the unique is removed and a another one is saved.

your host files must be stopped working because of your faulty corrupted browser, thus according to me you should try to reinstall that first and then reset all the host files to their default.

ok is there any way through which we can reset the hosts file back to the default?

Anyways thanks for the above suggestion.

Yeah off course you can do this, and for that just follow the mentioned below steps.

1. First of all you have to click on Start button and then click Run, and type “%systemroot% \SysWOW64\drivers\etc”, and then click OK.

2. After doing this rename the hosts file to hosts.bak. and create the fresh default hosts file and for doing this follow these steps:

• Right-click an open space in the “% systemroot% \SysWOW64\drivers\etc folders, point to New, and then click Text Document, and type hosts, now press ENTER.

• Now you have to confirm the file name extension will not be txt by clicking “yes”
      • Open new formed hosts file in any text editor for instance in the Notepad and copy the following text to the file:

# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
        #
        # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
        # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
        # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
        # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
        # space.
        #
        # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
        # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
        #
        # For example:
        #
        # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
        # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handle within DNS itself.
        # 127.0.0.1 localhost

3. After doing this you just have to save the files. And close it will take effect after next reboot.

Thank you so much for the prompt replies, and really this is working perfectly, but I have one doubt as will the same files work for windows XP and vista too?