Thread: How to change GDM theme in Ubuntu 10.04?

How to change GDM theme in Ubuntu 10.04?

I know I can change gdm theme in gdm configuration screen but, I don’t know what happened to gdm configuration screen, it seems to have disappeared from Ubuntu 10.04. For me, the default theme of the new gdm looks horrible and that is the reason I want to change that theme. I want to know where is the GUI for this in lucid and why it is not showing. If anyone has knows any solution for this, then please, reply. I can change only automatic logins and other features like that, if will go in System -> Administration -> Login Screen. It doesn’t have the GUI, which I am referring to.

re: How to change GDM theme in Ubuntu 10.04?

I was also thinking about changing the gdm theme, but later I got to know that that feature was removed from Ubuntu since the version 9.10. So, I am just stuck with the default theme of gdm. If anyone knows any simple idea to do this then please reply. It will help me a lot.

You can change controls, window borders, icons, colors and even pointers if you will try going in Appearance preferences > customize.

It is not of any use for me. I was talking about changing gdm login screen. I don’t want to change the environment after logging in. I have that all thing already in my liking. So, I am looking for any other solution now.

You can download Ubuntu Tweak for Ubuntu 10.04. You can do a Google search for that. Ubuntu Tweak is software which is designed to make config Ubuntu easier for every user. It has many tools for desktop and system which you cannot find in default desktop environment. You can use it for setting up many things. You will get a detailed info about what else it can do, and its other capabilities, when you do a Google search for it. As far as I am thinking, it will have all the option that you want. So, it is sure going to be useful for you.

Re: How to change GDM theme in Ubuntu 10.04?

Yes, Ubuntu Tweak is a best option for you. It is an application to tweak something that is not possible for you to do via administration programs which is provided in regular Ubuntu repositories.

I downloaded Ubuntu Tweak and gave it a run. It is really the application that I was looking for. It helped me. Thanks for providing me this solution.

Ubuntu Tweak is really a good application, but all the things that you can do with that application can also be done manually also. But, of course, Ubuntu Tweak makes finding the options much simpler so that any newbie can do those things easily. And also, this will be a more fantastic app with a little more work on this.

Yes, Ubuntu Tweak is a great application. But, I want to ask one thing here, gnome is removed from gdm configuration for technical reason or the developer team of Ubuntu thought removing gdm configuration is necessary for simplicity and other reason?