Thread: How to Create a Secured and Locked Folder in Mac OS X Lion

How to Create a Secured and Locked Folder in Mac OS X Lion

I am using the Mac OS X Lion in my system, as I’m new to this OS I don’t have that much of information regarding this OS, last Monday I was trying to make my folder secure but I fail to do this, so I had visited various sites for this, but still not cleared with this. So any steps or process you people know then please provide your help to do this. Your replies will be appreciate

Re: How to Create a Secured and Locked Folder in Mac OS X Lion

It’s so simple to create a locked. And private folders in Mac OS, there are inbuilt application present in Mac OS X Lion to do this. You can make any kind of files in Mac OS password protected, or simply you can place those file in to password protected folders. For this you should have to follow these simple steps
    • First find the folder you wish to make secured ‘protected’.
    • After that, open up Disk Utility by means of the path Finder > Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility.
    • Now from the disk utility select ‘File’ then go to ‘New’ after that select ‘Disk Image from Folder’ which is present at the top of the navigation bar.
    • A window appears with the title ‘Select Folder to Image’.
    • After that select that folder you are going to make password protected, after selecting the required folder click the ‘image’ button present to the bottom of that window.
    • Now you will find one new window which have two important options ‘Image Format’ and ‘Encryption’ where you have to select image format to read/write and encryption to 128-bit AES encryption (recommended) Click the Save button to save the image file.

If you are familiar with how to make the image file, then you are able to make your folder password protected. You just enter the correct password and make it verify. Make the password strength stronger. After that unchecked the Checkbox for Remember password. Once you have completed this press OK. And if you wants to access those folder you have to make double click on .dmg file where it ask for the password, if your password is correctly enter then you have the access to that corresponding file you have selected. This is the simplest ways to make your files and folder password protect.

There are some kinds of data which the people don’t want to share with other or don’t allow the other people to see the content of that file or folder. So if you want to protect the simple or single iWork or PDF document. You can do this either by using iWork application or by using Preview. When you going to choose the option say Save As you just select or checked the check box for encrypt. And if you want to protect your entire folder, then you have to take the use of encrypted disk images. Which create a file of dmg extension on your system hard drive. When you wants to open that folder then just double click on that and it asked you for the password enter the correct password to get the view of the file present inside that folder. And such folder is almost impossible to decrypt without the correct password not even with data recovery tools.

I'm confident there's a simple way to protect your files and folder. I don't be familiar with. But I do have an option. Using Disk Utility to create a Disk Image. Extent it for anything you want, or you can make file or folder a ballooning image. By choosing a password on it for; avoid using password on the Keychain. Now, whenever you require admission to that image, double click it and it'll prompt windows asking for the password appeared.