Thread: cleaning up the event log information

cleaning up the event log information

Hello guys can anyone help me here . My operating system is Windows 7. I want to know here that what is event log and how can it be cleared if I don’t want others to see the event which has occurred on my OS.

Re: cleaning up the event log information

Event logs are particular files that take a snap shot of the important events on your system, such as when a user logs on to the system or when a program encounters an fault. Whenever these types of events occur, events are recorded in by Windows in an event log that you can access by using Event Viewer. Advanced users may find the particulars in event logs cooperative while going for troubleshooting problems with Windows and other programs.

1. Navigate to the command prompt, click Start, then type there cmd in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.
    2. You will have to type the following command.
    3. Wevtutil cl <logname> [/bu: <backup_file_name> ]
    If you want to learn more about the clear log option of the wevtutil command-line tool, then you will have to type this command at a command prompt: wevtutil cl-?

First thing you can do is that start Event Viewer. Navigate to the event log you want to clear in the console tree go to Action menu, and then try clicking on the Clear Log. You can either log or save a copy of the event log or clear the event and then clear it If you are looking for clearing the event log without saving: Click Clear. If you are trying to clear the event log after having saved it then Click Save and Clear, chose a name for the saved file in File name on the Save As dialog box and click Save.

Here is a reply check if this helps for you will here's a efficient little command line that will remove all those event log accounts. from a command shell inter into the system as an administrator type or simply paste the following command for /F "tokens=*" %1 in ('wevtutil.exe el') DO wevtutil.exe cl "%1" let’s have a check of this command I am not sure if it will work for you but I have done it on my system so I think it will work on yours too.

Here is some other help package for you try out this right-click on the log file name in Event Viewer and make a selection for the properties this will leave you with the option.
    • just Clear the log
    • The log size should be set to maximum which not directly controls how many messages the log will be holding
    • Now you have to do one thing that chose whether you have to archive the old events or have to overwrite this

Thanks for the reply and I am really finding it helpful but the new problem has arrived that there are tons of log files and it will take annoying time to clear them by 'clicking' one by one. Can I have that command which can delete in command line deletes all event log records dozens of them in one go.

hello friends I am having some other issue that how can Hi. My operating system is Windows 7 and 64 bit, When I tried the above command line for my system The message I got was "it was unexpected at this time". Can you tell me that What parameter should befed to give %1 a value?

I don’t know why you do want to clear them all. It is not tons of logs rather it is actually over 400 event viewer log files. You can try this if you want but I don’t think clearing all the logs should be worth it Count with wevtutil el | find /c /v . It does not seem to work. If you try replacing the %1 with %%a then I think it must be working in the batch file.