Thread: HP Envy 0xc0000225 boot error - hard drive recognized as Dynamic - Foreign?!

HP Envy 0xc0000225 boot error - hard drive recognized as Dynamic - Foreign?!

This morning I got on my HP Envy 15 and did maybe 10 minutes of web browsing. I opened a couple new tabs in Chrome and typed in some things that I wanted to Google. The pages didn't load and then an error message popped up, then I got the BSOD. I restarted my Envy and I got the startup error 0xc0000225:

Windows Boot Manager

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware of software change might be the cause. To fix this problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
    2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."
    3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.
    So then I thought "Okay, I'll try booting into Safe Mode." Tried that, got the same error. Then I tried every damn option in the Advanced Boot Options screen, same error. I tried the Launch Startup Repair option too, same error. Then I inserted my HP Recovery Disc but the only option was to do a fresh install (from what I could see) and I'm NOT going to lose all of my data; about 300GB of it.

Then I decided that I would plug it into my desktop computer and try to see if there's something going on, or if I could at least still access my files. Well, I opened Disk Management and got this:

Disk 1 being my laptop hard drive.

I don't know how the fu-ck this could've happened, or what it even means. I read up on the error and people are saying that it could've been due to partitioning, but the last time I partitioned my hard drive was about 2 months ago, so I don't know why this would start happening now.

I could just simply right click and do Convert to Basic Disc, but like I said, I am NOT losing all of my data. I have a lot of important things on there, and I've already had to go through hell and back recovering my data when my hard drive broke earlier this year.

So what the hell do I do? What does this even mean? I have had the absolute worst experience with HP. Like I mentioned, my hard drive broke (literally) earlier this year and I had to put it in the freezer just to be able to use Testdisk and recover my data, and I got a new hard drive from HP. Then my touchpad and keyboard stopped working, and I had to buy $100 worth of new parts so I could use my laptop again. Once I get this problem fixed (if I even can fix it), I'm upgrading to a MacBook Pro or at least a different PC brand.

Should I try torrenting (I know) a Windows 7 install disc and use the repair thing on that?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section; feel free to move it to the correct section if so.
    Last edited by Jamesesesess; 30-08-2011 at 05:40 AM.

Re: HP Envy 0xc0000225 boot error - hard drive recognized as Dynamic - Foreign?!

Since you dont have the repair disc, you could try to backup all your data by connecting that hard drive to some other pc and transferring it to the same. Then you could simply reinstall windows 7 all over again, but this time give only 20 to 30 gb partition to the system drive where you will install the OS and use rest of the partition of the hard drive for data saving and all. And torrenting windows 7 repair disc isnt a good idea as it is illegal and we wont be discussing it further.
    DFI LANPARTY SLI-DR
    AMD 64 x2 4800+
    OCZ (2 x 512) DDR600

Re: HP Envy 0xc0000225 boot error - hard drive recognized as Dynamic - Foreign?!

Quote Originally Posted by newtech View Post
    Since you dont have the repair disc, you could try to backup all your data by connecting that hard drive to some other pc and transferring it to the same. Then you could simply reinstall windows 7 all over again, but this time give only 20 to 30 gb partition to the system drive where you will install the OS and use rest of the partition of the hard drive for data saving and all. And torrenting windows 7 repair disc isnt a good idea as it is illegal and we wont be discussing it further.
    Well thanks for the reply but like I said, Disk Management recognizes the hard drive as "Dynamic" and "Foreign", and I can't access the files on it at all. The drive doesn't even show up in Windows explorer.

Awesome, I got it back running in about 15 minutes I downloaded the Windows 7 Repair Disc (not sure if it's illegal or not, but I found the link readily available on a blog, burned it to a disc and booted into it. It had it repaired in a few minutes! When it first started checking my hard drive it said some file was missing, but it still recognized my Windows 7 partition so I went ahead and had it repaired anyway.