Thread: How to disable Disk Defrag on SSD in Windows 7

How to disable Disk Defrag on SSD in Windows 7

I read somewhere that Windows 7 gets SSD friendly and supposed to take thought regarding computer with Solid state drive. It said that SSD did into gain anything when defragged in fact it reduced the lifecycle of the drives. SO they were thinking of permanently disable defragmentation. But, now after installing Windows 7 on my Lenova Laptop I saw that Defrag was not disabled. What is the current development regarding it.

Re: How to disable Disk Defrag on SSD in Windows 7

Well, it is true that defrag does reduce the lifecycle of the SSD’s instead of enhancing it, but I think some people are not convinced. That’s why it’s still available. But, if you want to disable it, you will have to uncheck the SSD’s which are also not set by default. So, before defragment be sure to check them.

You probably need to update your bios, though Windows 7 detect SSDs by testing performance characteristics instead of querying certain information, it still depends upon the Bios for detecting the SSDs. I think the difficulty is when you don't have AHCI mode on in your BIOS, then Windows 7 cannot sense the SSD. I had AHCI disabled and Defrag, Super fetch etc were on. Turned AHCI on in the BIOS and reinstalled and now they are off.

I did try to turn on AHCI mode, but when I did that it stopped detecting normal HDD’s too. I had to run on IDE in order for them to detect. I’m having the same problem where my SSD is defragmented and I can even disable this feature.

Do it correctly step by step as shown here. Run “regedit” and right click it as administrator. Enter your user name when it prompts and then open Regedit. In regedit navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services, then click "msahci", and "modify" in the right pane. In the next window set the value to "0" and click OK. Then restart the PC and your device is set to AHCI mode.