Thread: Unable to update Linux BIOS in ASUS EeePC 900A

Unable to update Linux BIOS in ASUS EeePC 900A

I have been trying to update my Linux BIOS with latest edition in ASUS EeePC 900A. For that I did upgrade some hardware parts such as the SSD and the RAM. I would like to let you know that in the SSD stock I have installed 4 Gig USB Flash drive which works with Ubuntu Netbook Remix Version 9.10. On the drive there is only ROM file, it’s not in the ZIP container so I extracted it. I can see that the ROM file is the only file on disk;
    • The ROM file is a ZIP container, which is extracted from the archive;
    • The flash drive is formatted as FAT32 on the extent to which Linux can format;
    • I disabled the quick boot two settings in the current 0703 BIOS, save, reboot;
    • I press Alt + F2, the system goes into flash mode;
    • After trying all this I still getting some devices not found. What to do next?

Re: Unable to update Linux BIOS in ASUS EeePC 900A

If you ask me about flashing a specific USB port, first, I know that 4G is purposeful (in Ubuntu) in the 3 USB connectors on the 900A, so this seems like you are implying that the upgrade process only a specific port is selected for reading. I've seen the idea posted earlier, maybe in some models that I have no experience there. During part of the attempt by a flash, I have put the flash drive 4G in every port, did not start the update process.

According to my suggestions the port makes no difference (not to argue, saying why I think the idea of "specified port" could be wrong) while the Eee is in the "Flash BIOS" and is on how to "Checking for USB device". Also I do not see the part of the verification routine makes the 4G flash drives access LED on and off in a pattern, "short-medium out of time in the short term, out of court at a great distance, "and as the access LED will be out of time, the screen updates to the" USB Device not found! " (And immediately re-initiate the search for "USB Device Control).

The LED is forbidden by the chips in the 4G Flash drive, so I guess you are transferring data between the USB controller chip 900A and control within the flash drive. Not essentially the content of the file system, but there is no reason to think that the LED flashes at a low plane, only inter device command, so I'm not sure what is happening.

I myself tried the same flash unit 2G successfully flashed my 900A last time you updated.
    • "900.rom" fails in all 3 ports;
    • "900a.rom" fails in all 3 ports,
    • "900A.rom" fails in all 3 ports;
    • "900A.ROM" fails in all 3 ports;
    • "900a.ROM" fails in all 3 ports;
    • "900.ROM" fails in all 3 ports.

The reason behind this is that the documentation for the BIOS upgrades method is trash.

1102 ROM file I extracted to the root partition on the flash drive formatted as FAT16, then copy that file as 900A.ROM on the same partition, along with the extracted file. Do not delete the original ROM file, so there are two files in the root directory. You can make more of an actual file, but only one file named exactly "900A.ROM."
    Normal execution:
    Code:
    Boot Block Compatible Version Ver.024
    Please do NOT insert any disc into CD-ROM or Floppy drive
    if you want to recover with an USB device.
    EZ-Flash starting BIOS update...
    USB Device found.
    Reading file "900A.ROM". Completed.
    Start Erasing...\
    Start Programming.../
    Start Erasing Boot Block...\
    Start Programming Boot Block.../
    The BIOS update is finished.
    Please press power button to shut down the system._

During the first boot of the new BIOS, everything boots fine until I got to the login screen GDM user - the touchpad not responding to movement, but he was responding when you use the touch screen as a mouse button (tap to click). Just press the power switches (v9.10 Ubuntu Netbook Remix is the power button, so it brings up a menu) and restarted, the touchpad works properly.