Thread: How to split large files in Mac OS X

How to split large files in Mac OS X

I have been using a Mac system from the past several years. Right now it is working with OS X. I am soon planning to update Lion in it. There are several files in my system. Some of them are very large and some of them are small. I need good software for Mac which is capable to split large file. For example I need to split a 6GB file to 3GB files or like that. Which software I should use for OS X? If it is capable to run on LION also then it would be very helpful for me.

Re: How to split large files in Mac OS X

You should check out the Pif-Splitter V0.1 For Mac OS X. This application allows you to split a large file into several pieces so you can save in multiple formats (DVD, CD, USB key, etc.). With Pif-Splitter, s We can plit any file: AIFF, DMG, ISO, MP3, TIFF, DOC, MOV, AVI, etc ... For example, cut out an image file (ISO, BIN, DMG, etc.) to 7GB in several pieces of 2GB. Then save these pieces on several DVD 4.7 GB, copy the songs in the folder of your choice. Pif-Splitter used to reconstruct the original file.

The solution is to split the files you want saved in various fragments or "chunks" of those smaller than 4GB, later re-create a unique and complete based on those fragments. HJ-Split is a utility that not only lets you do this easily, but has other advantages:
    • A useful "freeware" free
    • There are versions for Mac OS X ( Split & Concat ), Windows ( HJ-Split for Windows ), Linux ( HJ-Split for Linux ) and other platforms.
    • No installation required, is small and can be copied onto the same flash drive that contains the "chopping."

I have also downloaded the HJSplit. The program is only 344 kB in size and requires no installation, so you start by clicking the. Exe file, double-click. We assume that you have a large file into pieces to be cut. Would you just hand a number of split files that you downloaded piling up. In the main window, click Split. Now click on Input File too large for the file you want, and click Output to a directory that contains the split parts have to come visit. By default, it shares in the same directory as the large file. Also specify the maximum size of the part files.

To deal with large files is not easy for anyone, especially if these files must be uploaded to the network. There is seeker free software called "Split and Hide" which allows you to divide these files into smaller parts so that it can be handled better and with more ease. "Split And Hide" is a programma.jar so it runs on any platform with a Java virtual machine. You can download it by doing a search on google or directly from the manufacturer website.

Split & Concat 2.2.1 splits large files for upload. In Internet newsgroups large files are split Into Often smaller share sincere messages Can Not Be More than a number of size to Be Able to post them in newsgroups. You Can Also use this program to split or recombine files are too large eg that to Be Put On one CD. Other than this there are some more third party software for MAC which offers different kind of features for splitting the files.