Thread: Comparison between unity and GNOME for ubuntu 11.04?

Comparison between unity and GNOME for ubuntu 11.04?

Hello friends I have been thinking that which one is better in unity and GNOME, well I have installed ubuntu 11.04 in my system yesterday now I want to know who is better I have saw unity but u don’t like its look I have some problem with its presentation so I think I don’t like it but I want to know which one is better and which one should I go with? Please suggest something I need help for this?

Re: Comparison between unity and GNOME for ubuntu 11.04?

When I heard the news that Ubuntu 11.04 will come with the unit environment instead of GNOME desktop, I thought it might be the unity comes with new features and yes, it comes with exciting new GNOME 3 features. But Unity wasn’t with that many features or so not as it was expected to be . I would feel better if I know that you have installed the unit and GNOME 3, so I'll share my experience of using this desktop environment with you two. At first glance, I feel much the same desktop environment as it has a lot of similarity. You can see there is a pane on the left enters the desktop that flame thrower in Unit 3 and GNOME panel.

Both have workspace that helps you organize your Windows operating separately means that applications can run on different Workspace. In the unit is available in the launcher and the GNOME 3 is available in the right pane when move the mouse to the upper left corner. In Unity there are only four work space is always less is not installed GNOME 3 software. But others have any amount of workspace. GNOME 3 has no buttons for minimization and maximization. At first think I feel bad while using it, but when I tried GNOME 3 I feel that these buttons will not be necessary because GNOME 3 is by design.

I have been running the unit on my netbook for about 9 months. And honestly, while I'm an old Linux user, I still find it confusing. I guess it will be much more confusing to new Linux converts come from Windows. I better do Gnome by default, allowing the unit to be selected on login. Then, people gradually get used to the idea of force instead of something new and contrary to common sense, against the wishes of many. So there are still some improvements and design phase is required both in the desktop environment to be perfect. So finally, I mean if you want to choose the best desktop and then try both and then decide what suits you better.

The latest version of the widely used distro Fedora 15 will start a flood of users to the radically new design of the GNOME desktop. Canonical developers have to integrate a new option in GNOME on Ubuntu. This could force the Ubuntu fans unhappy with the unit to a default in Fedora or other distros main shell sports the new GNOME 3.0. "GNOME 3 is much more than the shell, while the unit is a shell for GNOME," Spencer told Linux Insider. Thus, using the unit is not the same as not using GNOME 3.

I have been trying out with both of these interfaces when I upgraded to Ubuntu 11.04 Beta 2. The unit will not stay long installed. This interface has matured to a stable state but the interface does not appeal to me. The unit is full of icons too big and lots of bright colors smoothly. It is as if the screen has been designed by Crayola and Canonical not. After following some steps I found in Ubuntu Geek, I added the PPA for GNOME 3 to my sources list. These steps, I'll include in a separate post. GNOME 3 is a much better interface.

Unit is undoubtedly wrong and Classic Ubuntu doesn't really work for me. Opening an application in the unit, the application menu is displayed on the top panel. When switching to Ubuntu and Gnome classic, this menu is lost at least here for me. That was the reason I switched back to Ubuntu and Gnome Classic and Avant Window Navigator has been installed for me. This is a great alternative. It was a pretty option, there are many old and new applets are also impressive time to install and use all the applets edge and have been very easy to customize. So I have been hiding the menu. Still I want my gnome desktop back and I have been thinking not to upgrade my laptop now.

Ok so decided to go with GNOME i was also thinking that this would be a better option but i thought to ask the expertise before doing anything as i have been asking you all anything before been done and this is because i know you all do suggest me with a right option so i like to ask it with you all and i enjoy doing things after you all have suggested it to me.