Thread: Gnome Shell is best for Netbooks

Gnome Shell is best for Netbooks

Gome shell is not very power consuming like Compiz if you desire to have the visual effects within Linux. Actually this will function very well with the Ubuntu that is installed in my Aspire One AOA110-1545 netbook. I am starting this thread just to tell the people who are using the Ubuntu can try the Gnome Shell and take experience of that once and one can share his experience or ask the queries regarding this. I hope that we will have a great discuss on this here.

Re: Gnome Shell is best for Netbooks

If you wish to install the GNOME Shell then you can simply search for the Ubuntu Software Center. Just go to the Applications and there you will get the option as Ubuntu Software Center intended for "GNOME Shell". If you wish to run that then you will have to run this startup. Go to System > Preferences > Startup Applications and from there just click on "Add". Within the "Name" box, you will have to type "GNOME Shell" and within the "Command" box just type "/usr/bin/gnome-shell --replace".

I am not getting the point to have the Linux on the netbook. There are many of the unix bases which are going for the visual desktop. I would like to tell you that Open Solaris is having all these cool windows maximizing animations. Though, it would frequently depart nasty scuffs lying on the desktop. When you make use of a UNIX base then you feel like you are the only one having it. This is my thinking about this, I don’t know about others. Lets see what others think about this.

I have used fresh GNOME Shell desktop for my HP Mini 5102 for few weeks and so I can say that it is a immense improvement intended for the netbook user. On primary use you will observe that many of things have modified. For example, there is just single panel and three menus like applications, places, with system which are now changed through the Activities button as well as name of the application you are having. This is going to have the applications menu along with the extra application-specific options.

The escaping of restricted application categories as well as nested sub-menus is a different benefit of application launching within the shell compared through the GNOME 2 desktop. Users ought not to guess which category an application is inside and motor control demands of application picker are lesser as compared to those of menus. The application picker as well having the spatial memory which makes it simple and simple to reposition applications."

I have been following the development of Gnome Shell for a while, reading blogs and watching videos of him in action. I was very disappointed when I tried the final version of Gnome Shell on my netbook today. Because 3 has over Gnome interface elements of Gnome 2, Gnome Shell is not suitable for small screens. A series of windows cannot even fit on the screen unless you know you can move a window using "Alt." Many of the times you cannot even close this window and the "Close" button has been removed from the title bar and resides at the bottom.