Thread: How to change resolution in Backtrack 5 installed on Virtualbox

How to change resolution in Backtrack 5 installed on Virtualbox

Is it possible to modify resolution within Backtrack 5 running inside Virtual Box? While i attempt modify from System > Monitors (there are simply 2 options, 800x600 and 600x480) and xorg.conf dont work. Does anybody know a way to modify the resolution to a different amount other than the available one? Any help would be much appreciated.

Re: How to change resolution in Backtrack 5 installed on Virtualbox

In Virtualbox cannot install nvidia driver or ati, as the graphics card is VIRTUAL and generic, using the generic driver Virtualbox own. The virtual machine arrangement can barely normalize the video memory that you allocate to the plot. When you install a system like Ubuntu, for instance, resolutions are restricted to permit the distribution you installed like a guest. Utilizing the "Guest Addons", if you install Windows XP, for instance, you can resize the guest window toward whichever resolution while not standard. This did not work with Ubuntu host, but with Windows XP, as I say.

The VirtualBox directory you have in C: \ Program Files \ or C: \ Program Files \ Sun \ search, I have no idea, since my host is Linux. VMNAME you have probably replaced by the title of your score. However, you should try once before to install the guest additions, and "automatically resize guest" in the menu of the guest. If that does not help, you can even give the monitor a different driver: instead of "Non-Plug and Play Monitor (Standard)" a driver for "Generic PnP Monitor" (Plug and Play) install, reboot and then try that VirtualBox window to attract larger and smaller.

There's the "VMWare" around your xorg.conf, you're virtual machine or you have installed in drive? I know of Virtualbox, installing the Guest Additions (it is probably another name... in VMWare VMWare tools?) The system runs much better resolutions (like you maximize the window and it will hold the resolution "native" of your screen). Google looks towards how.

I am in VM with VMware and as you say there is a VMware tool that works well and offers the 1366x768 which fits perfectly on my screen. For info, I tried with VirtualBox but the resolution is stuck at 800x600 on my pc anyway. But what I want it back my resolution in xorg.conf to avoid, at each start, having to click on the appropriate icon and then choose my Resol. The code retrieved on the net is what I have now because I have more than the default code.

Keep a copy of the file / etc/X11/xorg.conf in case. Use this command to reconfigure the graphical environment (perhaps as root): dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg . You will be asking questions (in English, but quite obvious) on the keyboard, mouse and so on. and between them allows you to set the resolutions you want. I used it on a Kubuntu 7.10 and Mandriva 2008 on a Virtualbox 1.5.2 running virtualized on top of Ubuntu 7.10

Try going to the console in the host machine and typing
    VboxManage setextradata “xxxxxxxxx” “CustomVideoModel″ “axbxc″
    where xxxx is the guest machine name
    and axbxc is the resolution you want , eg. 1100x740x32
    Now System>Monitors in the guest machine should also show more rosolutions.