Thread: Cannot install OpenVAS 4 on Backtrack 5

Cannot install OpenVAS 4 on Backtrack 5

Today I have attempted to install OpenVAS4 by the use of OBS (for Ubuntu 10.04). The whole thing works enormous until i approach to the tip opening the greenbone security assistant. I initiated it through the gsad command, except that doesn't work. I still didn’t get any error message. Following that i began the openvas-check-setup script, the output of the script supposed, that i require starting greenbone security assistant by the use of gsad command. However for all time while i make use of the gsad command not anything occurs. Has anybody previously installed OpenVAS 4 within Backtrack 5 and is it functioning?

Re: Cannot install OpenVAS 4 on Backtrack 5

The simplest method of installing every one of of necessary parts of the openvas set is to copy the following commands within a terminal window.
    Code:
    root@bt:~#apt-get update
    root@bt:~#apt-get install openvas
    The wrap up openvas is a "master" box up that holds every one of the information necessary to automatically download each and every one of the additional packages that frame the complete openvas suite of tools.

OpenVAS (Open Vulnerability Assessment System) is a set of various services and tools intended for scanning and vulnerability analysis of networked computers. It allows us to analyze a PC or server from another remote computer, making a report of the vulnerabilities detected, as well as information on possible solutions. The scanner has a service daily updates of network vulnerability tests (Network Vulnerability Tests, also called NVT or plugins). The steps required for the installation is defined in the official website of Backtrack. Just see it by yourself.

I have found two tutorial videos on youtube which were showing you the installation and start of openvas. I think that you can find those videos on Official forums or blogs also. There are countless additional as well on google. Just endeavor searching a bit. It's simpler than superior and in the offing for an answer. All OpenVAS products are free software under the GNU General Public License (GNU GPL).

I hope that you have already found out how to install and configure openvas in Backtrack 5. It follows the same procedure that you have used in Backtrack 4. There is nothing more than that. OpenVAS works mainly with two different programs or services. A server (scanner), which is responsible for conducting the analysis of vulnerabilities and a client that is used by the user to configure and present the results thereof. Both programs can be installed on the same computer, or you may have installed the server on a different machine and connect remotely.

I have used the same method to install openvas in Bactrack 5. With that command I didn’t get any problem or not even an error. The script is also showing the same thing. It seems to me that you have skipped some test ad due to this you are not able to install. Furthermore this issue seems like very new to me and I am trying an alternative way to install this thing.