Thread: BT5 script customize

BT5 script customize

I have Fedora 14 I386 operating system installed in my system. Recently I have downloaded BT5 Gnome and tried to customize it while writing it to my USB flash. To customize it I used the below script and perform run. The output was as below:
    Code:
    [root@Lunix BT5-GNOME-32]# ./bt4-customise.sh 

customisation script[*] Setting up the build environment...
    mount: warning: mnt/ seems to be mounted read-only.[*] Copying over files, please wait ... [*] Entering livecd. [*] Now you can modify the LiveCD. At minimum, we recommend :[*] apt-get update && apt-get upgrade & apt-get clean[*] If you are running a large update, you might need to stop[*] services like crond, udev, cups, etc in the chroot[*] before exiting your chroot environment.[*] Once you have finished your modifications, type "exit"
    root@Lunix:/#
    I am unable to get why it mounted. Then I performed system update:
    Code:
    root@Lunix:/# apt-get update
    Err http://all.repository.backtrack-linux.org revolution Release.gpg
      Could not connect to 127.0.0.1:3128 (127.0.0.1). - connect (111: Connection refused)
    Err http://32.repository.backtrack-linux.org revolution Release.gpg
      Could not connect to 127.0.0.1:3128 (127.0.0.1). - connect (111: Connection refused)
    Err http://source.repository.backtrack-linux.org revolution Release.gpg
    Reading package lists... Done
    W: Failed to fetch http://all.repository.backtrack-linux.org/dists/revolution/Release.gpg  Could not connect to 127.0.0.1:3128 (127.0.0.1). - connect (111: Connection refused)

W: Failed to fetch http://32.repository.backtrack-linux.org/dists/revolution/Release.gpg  Could not connect to 127.0.0.1:3128 (127.0.0.1). - connect (111: Connection refused)

W: Failed to fetch http://source.repository.backtrack-linux.org/dists/revolution/Release.gpg  Could not connect to 127.0.0.1:3128 (127.0.0.1). - connect (111: Connection refused)

W: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead
    Still I haven’t found any progress. What should I do next?

Re: BT5 script customize

I think, I can help to solve your problem. To customize BT5 iso, KDE, x64 you have to use original customize, it will partially work. The only thing you have to do is edit the btiso name to match the name of your iso. You will notice that everything will work and within the edit directory you will find the customized system.
    Code:
    mkisofs -b boot/grub/stage2_eltorito -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 
    -boot-info-table -V "BT4" -cache-inodes -r -J -l -o ../bt5-mod.iso .

Here is an important note for everyone that there is no need to use grub-legacy as BT5 is no longer uses it. Instead you have to use grub2 as it will work. You will get success till line 94 then you have to edit the 94 line with the below, I mean replace it:
    Code:
    mkisofs -r -V BT5-mod -cache-inodes -J -l -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat
     -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -o /mnt/sda2/ISO/BT5-mod.iso .
    The customization will be done as per your requirement.

You must be aware that sda2 is the ext3 partition where ISO is located. The script is run from the ISO directory and it has 2 files including the script and the original BT5 iso. It continues running until it does not find the "boot catalog" boot.cat. Try the absolute paths such as /mnt/sda2/ISO/extract-cd/isolinux/boot.cat and isolinux.bin. If it does not help you then experiment it with “genisoimage”. Then your system will be booted from the original x64 KDE live DVD.

If you still haven’t found any help then follow the steps. There are three steps, First make sure "exit" the chroot shell before going to other steps.
    Code:
    remaster_ubuntu.sh extract /path/to/original/ubuntu.iso /path/to/working area
    The above code will extract the contents of the ISO into 2 subdirectories of path/to/working/area/ :
    extract-cd/: the files needed to boot from isolinux config, kernel, initramfs, etc anyone of them, but not the root FS
    edit/: the root file system complete with /etc, /usr, etc.
    Code:
    remaster_ubuntu.sh chroot /path/to/working/area
    Your this step will start a root bash inside the root file system. Mount it properly from /dev, /proc, /sys. In that shell, you can apt-get purge/install, edit /etc files, create users, even start X applications. Then your last step is the below code.

Code:
    remaster_ubuntu.sh regen /path/to/working/area SOME_NAME /path/to/dest/my.iso

Code:
    mkisofs -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot 
    -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -V "BT5" -cache-inodes -r -J -l -o ../BT5-Custom.iso
    For better customization use 2 scripts to customize. The reason is that one script is used to extract setup and a second one will be used to chroot and rebuilds the .iso after editing. Download the below script from official website.
    bt5-customise.sh = run first to extract, edit, build
    bt5-customise-vatbng.sh = edit and build without extracting.
    This will do the job for you.

According to me Backtrack 5 is one of the best. Its only problem is that it cannot anticipate any hardware configuration. The best way to solve the customization problem is to install Backtrack 5 then remaster it by Remastersys. Remastersys allow you to generate your own customised .iso files. But it focus on version such as Karmic, Lucid and Newer with grub2 - version 2.0.13-1 and up for compatibility with Backtrack 5.