Thread: Gentoo X starts but hangs at black screen

Gentoo X starts but hangs at black screen

Last one month I use the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 in a Dell Studio 17 laptop. In this laptop I had installed gentoo X server operating system. Now there is some serious damage happen in this laptop. When I try to start this laptop, then the screen goes black and the keyboard as well as the mouse will be not able to work correctly on this laptop. I need some good solution that help to solve this black screen problem and also it will not make any problem on the system.

Re: Gentoo X starts but hangs at black screen

This type of black screen problem is occurs because the bad refresh rate values provide to Gentoo X in the system xorg.conf config file. To fix this type of problem onto the Gentoo X server OS , you necessary to locate the accurate HorizSync and VertRefresh values for monitor. This type of values will be work and at the result, the problem of the Gentoo X OS will be complete solved. I suggest you to check its value in manual configuration and then set it properly for removing the problem.

The values for HorizSync and VertRefresh are to be present on the /etc/X11/xorg.conf config file. This file is to be present on the Gentoo OS setup folder. Then you don’t need to complete install the OS. The proper way is to be boot it using the LiveCD. It might be help to you for setting the property of the HorizSync and VertRefresh. In the result, the refreshing rate will be work correctly and the problem is to be solved.

There will be different approach present in the Gentoo X server OS for solving this problem. You need to follow this approach and then try to solve the problem. Hence I suggest you to just use the bootable CD of the Gentoo Linux. This bootable compact disk will be help to solve the black screen problem. Hence I suggest you to use the bootable CD. This will be work to remove such kind of problem by booting the system.

For solving this type of problem, you need to try adding following code to your system make.conf file. The code is to be the INPUT_DEVICES="evdev". This will be help to detect the keyboard and mouse to the system. This will be also solve the black screen problem. Also you need to adding xorg onto the USE flags. The Gentoo user guide manual will be help to do this task. Also you need to set up xorg gentoo. This will also work to solve the problem.

I think you need to install KDE on Gentoo X server OS. This KDE will be also help to solve such problem. The below code will be help to do this problem solving task. First run the emerge xorg-server code on the terminal and then execute the emerge kdebase-startkde command. At the end you need to configure the X server using the xorfconfig command. This will be the best way to avoid such type of problem.

May be you try to install the OSS drivers on the system. This will be might be help to solve the problem. The alternative way is to be just reinstalling the system or use the upgrading process to do this task. This will be help to solve the problem. Then choose any correct process. This type of process will be completely solving such problem. You can also take the help of the manual for trouble shooting purpose.