Thread: Grub rescue on my ubuntu netbook Eeepc

Grub rescue on my ubuntu netbook Eeepc

I have been using the Asus EEEPC S101 which is running with Window XP as well as Ubuntu Net Book 10.10 dual booting on the interior 16gb solid state drive. I (foolishly) detached the ubuntu partition counting the home partition and certainly that integrated grub almost immediately turn on I obtain; "grub rescue>" and not anything besides. Windows XP is still unbroken (I believe). How do I fix the Master Boot Record to boot to Windows XP so I can install ubuntu all over again?

Re: Grub rescue on my ubuntu netbook Eeepc

You'll have to separate you from sda2 (it only goes up. 4 primary partitions), turn it into a extended partition and then install the Ubuntu example
    • 10-15 GB "/"
    • 15 GB "/ home"
    • 2 GB swap

Rest as needed for common access NTFS data. During the installation of Linux / Ubuntu is usually the MBR will be overwritten by grub, and thus replaces the Windows boot loader. If you intend to change anything for the Windows installation to the MBR you can do best with Shell / ddMBR boot loader and partition table backup- backup (446) in order to make it back to you again. If you prefer the Windows boot loader, which goes well with grub4dos, but unfortunately I cannot tell you how this works for W7 (only for XP), then this must be the Ubuntu grub bootloader will be written into the PBR.

If i would be in your place:
    • SDA1 shrink to 50GB,
    • SDA 2 leaves it for data sharing,
    • Increase SDA 3 40GB & Ner ext4 partition to make
    • SDA set up as a 2GB swap and go.

As far as I know the Eee PC would accompany a recovery DVD 1005P. With Windows 7 starters, you can make Sogut nothing. Not even change the background. With Windows XP you'd probably be more helpful (if you lying around ne license).

To avoid damage to my Windows XP installation, I boot from a USB stick (with the installed Ubuntu Netbook but not bootable). This should work out-of-the-box. However, I have the file / boot / grub / grub.conf on your USB stick booted into the live version of the Linux open in an editor and the parameter splash = silent splash = verbose to change. This allows me to see boot messages at startup (but not for booting from Netbook required). The configuration file is as cleverly constructed so that the boot configuration from a USB stick the Netbook grub on the hard disk (hd0) is, even if this is on a separate partition (it must be called only with Netbook, but this is to copy automatically).

Alternatively, could be sure to install grub so that the master boot record is overwritten. Then, Windows XP can be booted over a grub.conf entry (I like it but on my test system-Acer-AAO SSD with no taste and the Medion Akoya is currently me something too good for such experiments). Problem with the above approach: the Ubuntu on the Acer Aspire One defaults to no boot menu, no matter what you put in the / boot / grub / grub.conf. Only when the Tab key is pressed, the boot menu. Information, such as a boot menu can be displayed automatically on the AAO.

Obtained the ISO will need to create the USB stick to start the session of Ubuntu Netbook Live. To create the Live USB I used the tried and tested UNetbootin available for both Windows and GNU / Linux as an alternative you can use other tools such as USB Universal Installer in a Windows environment. Before proceeding with the installation always suggest back up the entire disk or at least copying the data files (documents, e-mail, multimedia, etc.)

Wubi is provides a nice solution for Windows users to install an Ubuntu 8.04.1 directly on the Windows partition. You can use the Wubi installer under Windows XP to download and run. The installer will then getartet Windows and logs in with a wizard that asks the options. Then the installer pulls an ISO of Ubuntu Netbook and this one is aimed at the Recher. That makes sense to require a broadband DSL connection. The installation takes about an hour.