Thread: Ubuntu update to 11.04 failed and showing error

Ubuntu update to 11.04 failed and showing error

I have attempted to update my system76 (Lemur) from 10.04 toward 11.04. The update run fine except following restarting the system, I found
    Code:
    error: symbol not found: 'grub_env_export'
    grub rescue>
    I attempted to deal with a few grub rescue tips, except for a few reasons the ls command offers me this odd return:
    Code:
     (hd0) (hd0,msdos5) (hd0,msdos1)
    Whilst no fat partitions are there on my computer since barely Ubuntu were installed in System76. Which is strange additionally is that ls (hd0,msdos1)/boot/grub gives anticipated return (lot of *.mod files and so on) therefore somewhat extremely funky occurred for the duration of the update. I don't actually care concerning my data, except I would actually welcome to employ my lemur. Is there any way to achieve this?

Re: Ubuntu update to 11.04 failed and showing error

I think that the problem is that there is no place to put the downloaded packages. You have to empty the cache apt. I do not know how to graphically from Synaptic, but from terminal you can give the command
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clean
    There you will have freed some space, but should be sufficient to remove some files (data type) or the limit to boot from livecd and use gparted to expand the root partition. I tried with the command above, but the freed space was not enough. I have no data to be deleted because they are in the \ home ... so I only have Gparted. Any other suggestion will also be accepted.

The error message seems to be too bad. The small updates of individual packages within the distribution used to work under Ubuntu (as used by Debian), without any problems. I would be interested to know if anyone has already managed to clean to let Ubuntu automatically be renewed from 10.04 to 11.04. However for now you can try the following commands.
    To create the space you can fast times the package cache
    Code:
      sudo apt-get clean
    I would it again with a
    Code:
      sudo apt-get update & & sudo apt-get upgrade

I think the automatic update of the Ubuntu system only works if you have a "clean" system, so no additional software included, of course, possible sources and has not even compiled. This is for me no longer the case and actually I suspect that every one that Ubuntu for more than just standard desktop applications (Internet, word processing, etc.) used should be the case. Therefore only remains for me the way, Ubuntu 11.04 install from scratch. Currently, I have no time for it, but I hope soon to come to the new version looked at from above acquaintances really nice. The new Firefox 4 seems to have become quite as fancy, but also convince many smaller improvements.

In my case the update process is largely free of pain again went on the stage. A short, ugly error is appeared after the update. Every few seconds the error message appeared. And the whole performance of the system was in the basement. The bug was already known, but was also the solution to be found quickly. The evmas (Volumne Enterprise Management System) is currently experiencing problems. Since I have not until now needed (consciously), I could make friends with most of the proposed solution also:
    Code:
    sudo dmsetup remove_all 
    sudo apt-get remove - purge evms
    And it already looks better again after the reboot.

Do not confuse "upgrade" with "Update". To make an update on a regular basis makes sense, so you get security updates also! Run times in recovery mode and try one:
    Code:
    apt-get-f install
    and also try :
    Code:
    apt-get clean
     apt-get update
     apt-get - reinstall install locales
    Furthermore If I get any issue I would attempt over again this in recovery mode:
    Code:
    dpkg - configure-a
    and also:
    Code:
     dpkg-reconfigure locales

You are so I think that is just the Grub loader. It happens sometimes when one of the partitions "playing around". Because Linux does not need to set up new, you can just jump up to this point (assuming that you have the Alternate CD!). If after entering FIXMBR and / or FIXBOOT C: Linux no longer found it's no wonder, since the grub loader will be kicked and replaced by a Windows version. So Downloads Alternate CD and then boot from this CD and play! I do not know now exactly how, where, what needs to be selected, in any case it is possible to jump directly to the installation of the loader group!