Thread: How to run script in terminal on ubuntu

How to run script in terminal on ubuntu

Hi, I’m using ubuntu Linux operating system. I was trying to run few program but it is asking to do so in terminal. I’m not much familiar with the Linux. In window normally when we have to run the program it’s done through shortcut and it hardly take a minute. Can anyone tell me how to do so in Linux? Does anyone know the solution for it? If so then please share it will be very much thankful to that person who ever help me.

Re: How to run script in terminal on ubuntu

I don’t have much knowledge about it. Even I was having the same problem. I had searched everything but nothings work for it. I’m using Ubuntu and I want to run simple server in the terminal when ever my operating system boot up’s has already made a script file which is used to run the server but I don’t know how to make the system to run those script . I even want to stop those script when my operating system shutdown.

Well you can try this to get rid from your problem just you need to put the following script in the init.d folder and the setup the command update-rc.d simplemcscript defaults this will surely work during the startup the server doesn’t work as there terminal window is not open . Try the simple script to open the terminal. It will going to work and if it doesn’t working then there might be something which is missing.

Just check your directory if you’re having rc[0-6].d and rcS.d which are startup and shutdown directories read the information file in it. In rc0.d start the process with s and rc3.d start up process when the os get boot up. You must know little bit this directory as you want to ass the script at boot time. After that just read the main page which is used for command and check which level your using it might be multiple-user network.

According to my knowledge all the path are located at rc.local which is in init.d directory and there you will going to put the command and execute it. You must enter the script in new line each and you don’t need your terminal to be open to run your script for startup which is used for the server. I don’t know much about what to do with the shutdown maybe you need to run the script in rcs.d local which is used to shutdown.

You may even use the $ sleep 20 command in the server script which is used to stop the command after this your system will wait before it get turnoff. Your system will wait for 20second before getting turnoff so that all the information gets saved before all the information get deleted from the ram. You can even do this by running the command and making the changes in the Linux operating system. Any how you have to use the terminal to get the things done.