Thread: Reinstalling windows XP results in grub rescue prompt

Reinstalling windows XP results in grub rescue prompt

Hello everyone I have a small problem that I want to share it with you all. t he problem is that with the problem is that whenever I am trying to re install the windows xp in the system I am getting the grub rescue prompt. So because of that I am not able to boot the system properly. So that’s what the issue is, can you all please suggest me some solutions for this kind of problem. Your solutions will be highly appreciated. I am waiting for the suggestion from your side. So reply accordingly.

Re: Reinstalling windows XP results in grub rescue prompt

In the situations like these you have to make sure that you reinstall the grub. Do try that and also I have heard that even grub 2 has come up. So if you want you can look out for that as well. I hope you do look at the same and also the suggestions that I have given you will work on the same. this si what I am saying here work on the solutions that I have given here and it will be beneficial for you. so do try it and let me know if that was of any help.

I just want to ask if you want to exclusively start it with the windows. The reason I am asking is that are you looking for the dual partitioning in the system? if yes then do let me know about it, as it will be of good help for you. that is what I am saying here. So work on it, if you want only exclusively windows in the system then you have to boot It up with the help of the windows cd and your problem will be solved. So that is one more solution for you. hope you enjoyed it.

Yes that is the exact method that I was trying to do but still I have one small question in my mind. The question is that Would reinstalling grub set it up so that it might chain-load ntldr on the MBR of the Windows partition? Can you please answer out this question of mine as well. Please do help me out here with the solutions and it will be very much beneficial for me. so do solve out the query I am waiting for the suggestions from you all.

No it will not so do not take unnecessary thought on that. So better not worry about the issue that you are thinking right now. Just have a look at the windows cd and do the booting stuff from there only and the problem will be solved. So do that and let me know if the problem gets sorted out ot not. See if you have still some problem with the CD then do have a chat with the manufactures about the issue. so do look out for the suggestions that has been given over here and I am sure that it will solve the problem for you.

Thanks a lot for all the help that you have given here and hence that’s what I am trying to say. I went ahead with the procedure that you have described here and it really helped me a lot. So thanks a lot again for all the solutions that you have given here for me. appreciate your efforts for the same here. Your solution do the trick for me and thats what the turning point is, so thanks a lot again for all the help that you have given here. You all are genius in this field and thanks again.