Thread: How to install Gnome 3 on ubuntu 10.10

How to install Gnome 3 on ubuntu 10.10

Hi, I am using the ubuntu 10.10 on machine and really it works very good, and along with that I have heard about the gnome 3 screens, which is pretty cool I would say, but I don’t know exactly that can we install it with the OS that I have right now? Or we have to run it over ubuntu 10.10? and as I haven’t installed it ever, thus don’t know whether it is safe to use it or not? Thus I would like if someone suggest me some proper suggestion.

Re: How to install Gnome 3 on ubuntu 10.10

I was also searching for the same on the internet, before some time, I use Ubuntu with the KDE which is also good, and as I heard about the Gnome 3, i just started searching about the screen and its compatibility with the Ubuntu 10.10, but I didn’t got any such proper idea, as I think we must have the above operating system like beta 11 in order to install the new screen, but let see what happens, in fact I would say you can simply try to install that, is you’ll not get any issue, but before that make a backup of the one that you have.

I would say you can simply install that screen with the version that you have right now, but as the above user mentioned that you should take a backup of the screen that you have. while log in, prior to push enter select Gnome 3 session on the pane under the greeter. And here I am mentioning some of the instruction for a PPA, try this code in the command prompt, they are

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-desktop/gnome3-builds,

sudo apt-get update,

sudo apt-get install gnome3-session.

As far as I know Ubuntu is not available for GNOME 3, whereas it make use of Unity. I would like to tell you something about the Unity, Unity is a shell interface for the GNOME DE, which is used with the operating system that you have mentioned, that’s Ubuntu. It is intended to create extra well-organized utilization of space specified the limited screen size of some of the machines. This is not a anthology of application although intended to be used with existing programs in ubuntu.

Hey thanks guys for the prompt replies, and it was so helpful really, but I have heard that the developer team is about to release the new operating system version, off course the ubuntu but the new version that’s 11.04, and in that they are about to give these environment by default, so I got another doubt like if suppose I install this environment in my current version and if suppose I try to upgrade to that newer version then, will it be possible to do that? or I’ll get some more problem?

I am not sure about these thus I would suggest you that you should not install this, as if you have mentioned that 11.04 is about to release then you should wait for that. because in that version they have putted this environment by default. With addition they have putted several essential applications and utilities in the environment, thus my recommendation is to wait until this versions operating system gets released.

Yeah you can install the Gnome on your current version, just follow this steps, unwrap synaptic package manager and add the PPA in that, this you can do with the options in the setting that’s Settings >> Repositories >> Other Software’s, and then put in the PPA which you’ll get beneath for GNOME 3, after selecting that modernize the repository packages, via the reload button, and then browse for gnome 3 package and as you get it you can simply have a option for installing that. or else as the above user mentioned you can use those commands also in order to install the same.