Thread: Unable to turn off suspend mode in kubuntu

Unable to turn off suspend mode in kubuntu

I have a little bit experience about Linux but I have a little problem which I could not able to resolved yet. I can't appear to work out how to turn off or stop or disable the suspend mode. I have turned each setting I might discover inside the power management to "accomplish not anything" and I have disabled each and every one of my power management options using system bios. My friend suggested I eliminate HAL...which caused me to misplace secondary internal Hard disk and other usb devices and the problem is still persisted. Each 20 minutes of no achievement the display blanks and monitor goes to stand-in mode. I have installed kubunutu 10.04 (2.6.32-28-generic).

Re: Unable to turn off suspend mode in kubuntu

I will attempt to aid make it easier, and clarify why a few things proceed as if they are busted, luckily KDE is a extremely large powerful desktop setting, unluckily it lacks it's mass on a 700mb kubuntu disk, it lacks lots of packages for the reason that it's on a disk and it doesn't have sufficient room, therefore we should construct onto it. There are some stuff you can accomplish to get bigger the system. First in package kit, search screensavers and install those. Currently choose a screen saver inside system settings> display and monitor.At present set off to power management and offer it a try.

A number of things you must know, pulseAaudio isn't actually required, KDE doesn't require it, it does a very well work on a gnome/ ubuntu desk,KDE has kmix, KDE is extremely well able of handling sound devices, intended for whatever cause pulse was integrated, i don't recognize why, i haven't the foggiest thought. Wireless gets improved by each edition of KDE, at present i am on 4.6 through kubuntu 10.10, the modifications are large and a huge distance from where you are currently, 4.4? Essentially telling, you must arrange to create the jump to 11.04, or at any rate to 10.10, much has modified, above 30,000 bug fixes.

Following are the steps I followed to 100% turn off entire power management.
    1. First of all I Installed Boot Up Manager
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install bum
    2. After that de-selected the following services
      • powernowd
      • apmd
      • acpi-support
      • acpid
    3. Now turn off Gnome-Power-Manager from starting up while boot into gnome.
    4. System->Preferences->Sessions

I hope that this step will help you resolve the problem. If anyone encounter this problem then this troubleshooting tip might gonna help you out.

I suggest you do a search on the Internet to read the latest information on hibernation in Linux. The suspension on the hard drive is better support for the suspend to RAM. The suspension on the hard disk is in the swap, the swap. For all the RAM can be written to the swap partition, it must have a size at least equal to the size of the RAM. Then the computer shuts down. When starting the machine the next time the kernel needs to know we want to recover from hibernation. The parameter resume = / dev/hda5 or whatever, or is the swap, said that action to the kernel.

One of the problems associated with hibernation is the state of some devices cannot be saved at the time of the suspension because their firmware cannot be rewritten in their flash memory after hibernation. In the Linux kernel sources, it is advisable to stop even the most possible applications, including the GUI and start the hibernation in a console.

I use Xfce for a while and one thing that I could not fix was to disable power management. When I watch a movie no problem, mplayer itself off power management and prevents my screen go to sleep. By cons when I watch a video with flash player, my screen goes to sleep after 20 minutes. Browsing the net I finally found how to manage the standby screen with the following two commands:
    Disable the standby screen
    Code:
      pcr @ home: ~ $ xset-display: 0-dpms