Thread: Dual boot with windows 7 using GNU GRUB

Dual boot with windows 7 using GNU GRUB

Yesterday I have bought a new HDD and went for a configuration of dual boot like sda1 with windows7 and sda2 as data. Then I have formed a image of my windows partition through ntfsclone, re-portioned my sda to:
    • sda1 boot (grub)
    • sda2 /
    • sda3 empty ntfs partition

Now I have installed gentoo and shifted my windows 7 partition rear toward sda3 through ntfsclone The Gentoo boots very well except i cannot work out why grub unable to boot my windows7. How it can be?

Re: Dual boot with windows 7 using GNU GRUB

I have tested the bcdedit and attempted to modify the device and Operating system device partitions to \Device\HarddiskVolume3 except windows as unintelligent as it is modifies it right away to C: . Perhaps it seems to be ok however it doesn’t assist me in any way and i have no thought what actually occurs while the cursor simply sits there and flashes following i selected windows from the grub menu. What I indicate it looks similar to as if it simply doesn’t discover the right files to boot and just hangs for the reason that of it.

I have recently installed Windows 7 in laptop with dual-booting; the boot has altered plenty from the time while Windows XP. I as well read reports of suspend/hibernate problems while booting grub -> Windows, therefore I determined to play it as secure as achievable and boot the further method around (Windows boot loader -> grub). I left the windows partitions unaccompanied apart from for decreasing the huge C: partition from inside Windows 7 by the use of disk manager

The Window 7 Boot Configuration Data Editor (BCDEdit) is to be utilized in order to configure Windows 7 to show a menu next to boot time that will let the user to select among Windows 7 as well as a Linux distribution of their selection. The Windows 7 as well as the Linux distribution will live in the identical material hard drive. Setting up a BCDEdit to distinguish plus boot a Linux distribution situated on top of a next physical HDD is not known for me at the moment.

Nonetheless, in your case the GRUB bootloader is missing (otherwise is not inside the accurate place), therefore ensure you’ve installed GRUB on the Linux disk properly. You must be capable to confirm that it has been through demanding to boot to your Linux disk straightforwardly while the system starts. Jumping from the Fat32 partition is completely satisfactory. It is helpful in support of sharing files among OSs. Utilizing the Ubuntu live CD to problem the dd command is as well very well – actually, you may perhaps make use of whichever valid Linux otherwise Unix live CD. I suggest using the gparted disk.

If a computer running Windows 7 as a second operating system to install Windows Vista (and get a dual boot system), there may be problems with loading the existing system, Windows 7. This is explained by the fact that although Windows Vista also uses a boot manager and a database of BCD, as Windows 7, but the boot manager in its earlier version and does not provide new opportunities.

A standard line of dual-boot configurations is: install the oldest operating system first. This must be on a separate partition. I have this on the D: partition. The plant itself does little more today so I'm not going further. First you start the command prompt as administrator. Click start> run and enter CMD. Now press Ctrl + Shift + Enter simultaneously and the command prompt with administrator rights started. If you have UAC turned on you get a dialog asking you for permission.