Thread: windows explorer (vista) not responding?

windows explorer (vista) not responding?

So I use Vista and recently (starting maybe a year or a few months ago?) my computer has been running insanely slow. For instance, after I turned on my Compaq Presario f700 laptop this morning, I first tried to run Google chrome but the computer just froze , saying 'Windows explorer is not responding'. Another example is that whenever I try to run open up a Word document, it takes at least a full minute before I can actually see the document. Even when I try to open the Control panel, it can also take minutes just to open up. Alot of times when the laptop freezes, I will get a message saying 'Windows explorer is not responding'. I purchased this laptop in 2008.

do i need to do a Factory Recovery?

I also ran Scannow 4 times and I always got the message "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log"I did see this message once in Notepad: "Repairing corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:60{30}]"\??\C:\Windows\System32\MigWiz"\[l:24{12}]"MIGUIImg.dll" from store".How do I "copy a version from the system store"?

Finally, I usually run antispyware, antivirus, and antimalware programs pretty often and don't detect any problems. I use Spybot, windows defender, malwarebyte's anti-malware, superantispyware free edition, and avast free antivirus

Re: windows explorer (vista) not responding?

Usually it should be virus problem but as you have already scanned your system, i think you should now go with the Factory Restore. But before that see if you can do the System Restore,. It seems like any hardware problem or even the OS problem. You may need to reinstall the OS again but that is the very very last option.

I would also like you to see these articles based on the same issue, hope you can get some help: Windows Explorer (Not Responding) - Vista

should I just try to get Windows 7 to replace the Vista?

That will be much better Idea. In Fact formatting and reinstalling Vista as well will surely fix this issue. But if you want to go With Windows 7, that will be much better. Just go On and do let me the results. This will help many other users to fix if the same problem occurs with them.

how do I reinstall Vista if I lost the installation CD?

Hi ALL. I am late in the game here. I did a clean install of the OS and all the software for my Toshiba a135-4527.

Guess what a week later it is doing it again. Windows explorer is not responding.

all I have on this computer is adobe CS4, Office XP and Adobe lightroom, photomatix.

Quote Originally Posted by vdotmatrix View Post
    Hi ALL. I am late in the game here. I did a clean install of the OS and all the software for my Toshiba a135-4527.

Guess what a week later it is doing it again. Windows explorer is not responding.

all I have on this computer is adobe CS4, Office XP and Adobe lightroom, photomatix.
    Can you try to perform a clean boot on your system.

1. Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrator rights.
    2. Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER to start the System Configuration Utility. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
    3. On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then click to clear the Load startup items check box. (The Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.)
    4. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.
    5. Note Following this step lets Microsoft services continue to run. These services include Networking, Plug and Play, Event Logging, Error Reporting, and other services. If you disable these services, you may permanently delete all restore points. Do not do this if you want to use the System Restore utility together with existing restore points.
    6. Click OK, and then click Restart.

Once you restart check if the issue is resolved in clean boot state.

Naughty Re: windows explorer (vista) not responding?

So 20 minutes ago, this task bar was locking up regularly and back to its old tricks.

After doing the clean boot thing i haven't been able to trigger another hiccup but it has only been 5 minutes.

So WTF did I pay GEEKSQUAD 82$ for to tell me to re-install everything and wipe my computer clean.

so here I am 8 minutes into a clean boot and all i can say is THANK YOU SO MUCH! I have scoured the internet for months to find a solution until now.

Thank you.

BTW, can you explain to everyone why this worked and what or why the task bar would freeze up like this?

thanks