Thread: Installing Nvidia Drivers in Red Hat

Installing Nvidia Drivers in Red Hat

I had a system that runs on Redhat 9 and I am trying to install NVIDA drivers. So here I downloaded the appropriate drivers file and after that I am right now in init 3 mode is changed. There I have the file NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2. I need some help for an clear setup that without much errors. What I want that the driver for my graphics card GeForce 2 MX 400 64MB on Red Hat can work properly. I am messing with this for last 2 days. I have read the readme from the nvidia page but still no help. Any help for the same will be appreciated.

Re: Installing Nvidia Drivers in Red Hat

Go again and read Nvidia readme. This is the file where you can see the installation process. Follow make install or "SYSINCLUDE = path / to / kernel / headers to write behind. In my system I had not installed the kernel sources. Since I had installed disk and the ISO images of Windows on another partition. I had from my part downloaded the kernel sources and unpacked them. I had followed make mrproper which was performed properly and it is in the readme about the process that guide me.

That is right to some extent the readme can surely help you. When you perform a proper command you get the y/n request and done. After that you just need the resources that are compiled in the kernel. Red Hat some kind of old ways to installing drivers by command prompt which you can use to run the setup and configure. And also remember that you cannot run too new drivers in the same. Read the compatibility support for the same.

I have some commands here that can help you to fix the issues. First run apt-get and then apt-get update. Then run apt-get dist-upgrade to upgrade. Now you have to pass command apt-get install kernel-source glibc-kernheaders glibc-devel glibc-headers gcc binutils. Then yum and yum update. Later on the similar command for the same is : yum install kernel-source glibc-kernheaders glibc-devel glibc-headers gcc binutils. You can try the same with Fedora also.

I just want to tell you that go for proprietary drivers. There are some unofficial drivers also for that. You can try them. To my knowledge there is more chance for a good driver if you take the official nVidia or ATI drivers. Atleast Nvidia is better than ATi is providing drivers developed by third parties. I think that choosing ATI / Nvidia is crucial unless you want to run big games which you have to run with Wine. Recently I was successful in installing ATI 3650 in a client system.

I will recommend you to request for a free driver for the same. This provide you simplicity where the driver is included in xorg core or distribution. So there is either very little or no manipulation. There are some dedicated monitoring technologies that comes with the same and you do not need to wait for the same. The other important features kernel interface. There are no module which blocks the functions like software suspend on laptops. So that makes your job easier.