Thread: Unable to install Gentoo while using Via epia-sn18000g motherboard

Unable to install Gentoo while using Via epia-sn18000g motherboard

Well I am looking to install Gentoo on the computer of mine. I am having Via epia-sn18000g motherboard. The system of mine is booting and hardware seems to be recognize. After doing quick googling I have noticed that udev is not starting. Let me know how can I debug the udev service so that I can make the thing working. Let me know if you are having any useful instruction to fix the matter of mine. Thanks a lot in advance.

Re: Unable to install Gentoo while using Via epia-sn18000g motherboard

It is really difficult to find out the root cause of the problem. Well I want to about the hardware configuration of the computer of yours? Do you getting any error message on the computer? Have you ever installed any version of the Linux? Can you provide the syslog of the error message which you are getting on the computer? Answer the above mentioned question as early as possible.

Looking at the situation which you have mentioned over here I am suspecting that the udev is not creating the hard disk device. Well you need to use the SCSI subsystem so that you can access the block device on the computer of yours. you should use the old-hd-rules so that you can make the old /dev/hd* name. if you do the same you will be able to use the /dev/had on the computer of yours.

Well I am highly suspecting that the SCSI option in the kernel because the kernel is unable to access the drive on the system of yours. so you have to look into the Device Drivers and you have to go for the SCSI device support. You should look into the system and see whether you are able to make the thing working or not. If you are having any query then feel free to ask the same.

To verify the thing you have to go for the Device Drivers and you have to go for the Serial ATA and Parallel ATA drivers. Here you have to check for the right module for the hd is complied with kernel. I am assuming that you are using the PATA or SATA disk. You have to select the correct module and you need to use the live cd. For Udev you have to set the vars into the /etc/conf.d/rc and perform the following modification on the system of yours.
    Code:
    RC_VERBOSE="yes" 
    RC_BOOTLOG="yes"

Into the computer of yours you have to see that /etc/fstab is utilizing the /dev/sd__ for the hard disk of yours. the root file system has been published by the files by using the tar files. I let you know that the tar file is been created by the virtualbox. You might neeto create the genkernel --menuconfig all in order to create as well as install the kernel on the system of yours. you should also use the initramfs it would be helpful to detect the hardware which can not switch with the root device.